British Council Recruitment for Graduate Risk and Compliance Analyst
The British Council is the world's leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Risk and Compliance Analyst - West Africa
Job Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Role Type Advisory, Policy and Expertise
Pay Band: 7/F
Reports to: Regional Head Risk and Compliance
- This role exists to monitor the effectiveness of financial controls, using corporate frameworks as specified; to monitor risk levels and take corrective action where this is required. It also acts as the first point of contact within the region for counter-fraud activity, and will participate in and lead regional investigations as needed drawing on the expertise of the Central Fraud team and acting on their advice. The role holder is accountable for recommending appropriate action to the Regional Finance Director.
- The post-holder is accountable for Financial Risk Responses, supporting the implementation of and monitoring the adherence to, Finance policy and process in the cluster, providing a critical part of the feedback loop to Regional Head Risk and Compliance.
- They will proactively analyse the control environment, identify hot spots and ‘trouble shoot’ as needed.
- They will make recommendations to Regional Head Risk and Compliance for remediation and drive through change to meet required standards.
- They will also lead on counter-fraud planning and initiatives within their cluster, working closely with the central counter fraud team.
Context and Environment:
- The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
- We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
Internal Operating Context-Regional:
- The SSA Business Plan sets out ambitious growth targets for both the number of people we will work with and the income that we will generate. Turnover by 2020 is expected to be over to £90 million in SSA, driven predominately by growth in Contract income as well as Exams and Teaching centres, despite a declining grant funding from centre. We also expect to be more profitable, reinforcing financial sustainability. At the same time we aim to achieve a step-change in the quality and performance of the
- British Council’s Finance function by April 2018. This will be achieved through more consistent standard of financial reporting enabling more informed decision making and satisfy the standards demanded by external stakeholders.
- The organisation will achieve this by becoming increasingly efficient and commercial in its approach whilst maintaining its public service ethos and charitable purpose. This will be done through the implementation of a number of change programmes, which will result in more efficient and simpler processes.
- This inevitably will expose the region to increased risks, which must be carefully mitigating in a manner that allows business to continue seamlessly.
- The successful candidate must be collaborative and proactive in approach to successfully manage this large portfolio.
The role will:
- Monitor adherence with the global minimum controls standards (MCS) as defined by Financial Governance and monitor performance on a quarterly / annual basis as requested by Regional Head Risk and Compliance.
- Spot checking of evidence for key control and assurance tasks and escalate key issues to Regional Head Risk and Compliance.
- Agreement and follow up of remediation actions where countries are not achieving the required standards and escalate key issues to Regional Head Risk and Compliance.
- Implement processes and policies to assess and/or monitor the effectiveness of risk governance frameworks / adherence to standards as appropriate.
- Assess risk/fraud profiles within Region/Country in relation to political/economic changes and understand how this impacts on the Global Risk Framework.
- Foster a culture of Risk Management supported by policies and guidance.
- Proactively investigate potential problem areas and provide coaching and training to relevant individuals/teams across the region to raise awareness and build capability in risk management
- Work with Global teams in the identification of compliance program initiatives.
- Develop the organizations capability around risk governance, counter fraud management and decision processes aligned with British Council’s operating model and risk strategy.
- Ensure the highest level of compliance and accuracy of all balance sheet reconciliations, bank reconciliations and income reconciliations.
- Define the reporting requirements to meet the needs of key stakeholders and address key areas of risk.
- Implement a culture and process of pro-active debt collection. Identify and manage recurrent debtors including partners and suppliers.
- Ensure all vendors are appropriately screened/credit checked as per British Council policies.
- Implement business partner credit risk assessment tools.
- Maintain strong and effective working relationships with all areas of Risk Management.
- Schedule regular meetings with leadership team in order to ensure a planned and systematic approach to identify, prioritize and assess appropriate compliance related activities.
- Implement, and ensure compliance with, Counter Fraud management strategy:
- Advice, support and conduct investigations and management of fraud cases.
- Identify enablers for fraud, to inform and improve prevention efforts.
- Use data analysis to support and inform proactive counter fraud
- Cluster Leads
- Risk & Compliance Managers
- Policy and Process Analysts
- Shared Services Centre
- Counter Fraud Team
- Financial Governance Team
Other important features or requirements of the job:
- Requirement to travel across the region and to the UK but should be no more than 25%.
Passport requirements/Right to work in country:
- Country appointed
Minimum / essential:
- University Degree in a relevant area, preferably Accounting, Auditing or Finance.
- Formal Training in Counter Fraud Management.
- Risk Management qualification / diploma.
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience
Minimum / essential:
- Minimum of 1 year of qualified experience in a relevant managerial post.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and the ability to work in what is often a confidential, responsive, deadlineoriented and dynamic environment.
- Counter Fraud Management experience, including counter fraud planning and counter fraud investigations.
- Fluency in written and spoken English Shortlisted candidates will either demonstrate they have met the required standard through presentation of an agreed English language certificate, or will be required to take the APTIS test and demonstrate a B2 level of English proficiency.
British Council Core Skills Assessment Stage:
- Analysing Data and Problems Level 2: Analyses patterns - Seeks out and examines a range of information to identify patterns, trends and options, to solve multifaceted and complex problems.
- Communicating and Influencing Level 2: IsIs creative and adaptable in communications - Able to use a range of non-standard and creative approaches to inform, and persuade others, extending beyond logical argument to influence decisions and actions in a way which is inclusive and engaging.
- Level 2: Supports a risk management culture - Has track record of identifying and highlighting risks and suggesting mitigating actions.
- Level 1: Supervises a small team - Supervises a small team of people doing similar jobs to deliver short term tasks to agreed quality and time standards.
Counter Fraud Management:
- Level 1: Deliver training and build networks to raise awareness of fraud and its prevention.
- Level 1: Identify and address the need for local variations to global policies, in consultation with stakeholders.
Finance Processes and Systems:
- Level 1: Inform and advise on the implementation of process performance measures and controls.
Financial Risk Mitigation:
- Level 1: Operate the process effectively to ensure significant financial risks are identified, mitigated and reported.
Internal Control Implementation and Assurance:
- Level 1: Contribute to the development and implementation of governance frameworks and financial controls.
- Proven risk management skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills; comfortable tackling complex problems and breaking these down into manageable pieces.
British Council Behaviours Assessment Stage
Working Together (More Demanding):
- Creating the environment in which others who have different aims can work together
Shaping the Future (More Demanding):
- Changing the nature of what we do and the benefits we gain by thinking and planning with creativity
Creating Shared Purpose (More Demanding):
- Creating energy and clarity so that people want to work purposefully together.
Connecting with Others (More Demanding):
- Actively appreciating the needs and concerns of myself and others.
NGN 6,271,654.00 gross.
Application Closes on..
12th September, 2017.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here to download job details (pdf)
Click here to download BC Behaviour (pdf)
Click here to download BC Core skills (pdf)
Note: Short-listing will be carried out against the essential knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience as specified in the Role Profile which accompanies this.
- Officer, IT Risk and Compliance
- Risk Solution Sales Specialist
- Job Vacancies at Omuma Micro Finance Bank, Imo State
- Risk Advisor needed at Lasaco Assurance Plc
- MTN Nigeria 2018 Global Graduate Development Programme (GGDP) - IT & Business Risk Management - Nationwide
- Head, Internal Audit & Compliance
- Zonal Operations Coordinator Job at 3D Impact Marketing Limited
- Risk Advisor
- Western Union Recruitment for AML Compliance Officer
- Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System Plc (NIBSS) Recruitment 2017