Cash and Voucher Program Officer Job at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Cash and Voucher Program Officer
Job Location: Ngala, Borno State
Reports Directly To: Senior Cash and Voucher Program Officer
Works Directly With:Program, Operations, and support team
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, GAC and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
- The Cash Transfer Programming (CTP)/Cash for Work (CFW) Program Officer is responsible for assisting in the implementation of CTP and CFW activities in the intervention communities of Ngala in Northern Borno State.
- With support from the Senior Program Officer – Cash & Vouchers, s/he will supervise all projects, project selection and planning, project assets, local government and community liaison work, monitoring and payment.
- The CTP/CFW Program Officer will report to the Cash & Vouchers Senior Program Officer and work collaboratively with fellow program and MEL staff.
- S/He may also support other livelihood sector interventions including unconditional cash transfers, livelihood grants and VSLAs.
- Plan and ensure the effective implementation of CTP/CFW.
- Oversee administrative matters relating directly to cash transfer activities including reconciliation with cash-out agents following distributions.
- Contribute to effective program reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use in coordination with the other program staff.
- Work with the Senior Program Officer – Cash & Vouchers to prepare monthly cash requirement forecast for CFW activities, including the purchase of materials at site and CFW labor payments.
- Contribute to all CTP/CFW related field work, including community mobilization, beneficiary identification/registration, distributions, and monitoring.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Review labor and time-line requirements for CFW activities, determining staffing requirements.
- Coordinate payment procedures, including documentation, approval and actual payment.
- Oversee procurement of all materials for CFW projects.
- Maintain all documentation relating directly to CTP/CFW activities required to ensure accountability to the donor, particularly where labor is concerned.
- Oversee administrative matters relating directly to CFW activities: time-sheets, payment schedules, required paper-work and liaison with finance department.
- Maintain all documentation relating directly to cash transfer activities required to ensure accountability.
- Provide information on CTP/CFW activities as requested by the Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader, Senior Program Officer – Cash & Vouchers or MEL team.
- Support orientation for all new staff on CTP/CFW.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Report on any problems encountered in the field such as project participant complaints, local authority interference, and security threats to MC staff and activities. Coordinate with MC Security Officer and Livelihoods Manager on any threats to MC staff and activities; follow up on incidents/security threats in areas of operation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Cash and Voucher Assistant
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S in relevant field required;
- 3 years of experience working on the development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; general program management experience required.
- Prior experience implementing distributions is required, preferably in a non-camp setting. Experience with CTP/CFW or other community micro-projects strongly preferred.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to identify beneficiaries according to criteria required.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Experience with running assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices
- Demonstrated training and facilitation experience
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude. Ideally s/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts.
- S/he is a problem solver, an effective community mobilizer who is adept in successfully dealing with issues of complexity.
- S/he is an active listener and contributor, working to create a strong team share ideas and learn.
Applications Closes on...
31st December, 2017.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
Drop off application in a sealed envelope with the position boldly written to:
Mercy Corps Nigeria,
No.6 Extension 111 Gambole Road, Opposite Capital School,
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Junior Accountant
- Financial Services Risk & Regulation, Manager at PWc
- Latest Job Vacancies at THS Advantage
- Head, Accountant (Finance / Admin)
- Internal Auditor/Store Keeping
- Finance Assistant (Benue) at Health Initiatives for Safety and Stability in Africa (HIFASS)