Cluster Consultant at WHO
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Cluster Consultant
Ref No: 1801291
Job Location: Zamfara
Contractual Arrangement: External Consultant
Contract Duration: 6 Months
Purpose of the Position
To coordinate WHO technical, programmatic and managerial activities aimed at supporting the Government of Nigeria to:
- Achieve and maintain very high population immunity against polioviruses through high quality SIAs and routine immunization
- Achieve recommended surveillance performance indicators for Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP), other Vaccine Preventable Diseases as well as other diseases of public health priority as highlighted in Nigeria's Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy.
Description of Duties
Under the overall technical guidance of the IVE Cluster Leader, the Cluster Coordinator will work under the day-to-day supervision of the WHO State Coordinator and the oversight of the Zonal Coordinator, and will perform the following functions:
SIA Planning, Implementation and Monitoring:
- Prepare high quality SIA High Risk Operational Plans (HROP) and monitor implementation of these plans, including through pre-implementation SIA dashboard.
- Implement of micro-planning with attention to all components included in the 2013 NPEEP.
- Implementation of high quality training of all cadres involved in SIAs including independent monitors
- Supervise SIA implementation, daily review meetings in highest risk areas and timely submission of daily implementation SIA dashboard.
- Ensure high quality Independent monitoring and timely use of data for appropriate action.
- Monitor and document implementation of PEI accountability framework
- Support review of each SIA using recommended data and tools (LQAs, EIM, Tally Sheet Analysis.... etc.) and prepare feedback to all key stake-holders.
AFP Surveillance Planning, Implementation and Monitoring:
- Prepare AFP Surveillance work-plans for all LGAs in the cluster
- Support active surveillance visits targeting major hospitals and priority sites.
- Implement supportive supervision and capacity building for DSNOs, clinicians/health workers and community surveillance focal points (TBAs, traditional healers....).
- Conduct monthly review of (a) implementation of AFP surveillance work-plans (b) AFP surveillance performance in all LGAs in the cluster.
- Plan and implement of high quality investigation of any confirmed polio case
- Support surveillance of other VPDs and priority diseases within the national IDSR Strategy
Routine Immunization Planning and Monitoring:
- Ensure timely updating of Reaching Every Ward (REW) micro-plans of all LGAs in the cluster.
- Conduct weekly monitoring of Routine Immunization sessions (fixed and outreach)
- Conduct supportive supervision and training of Health workers in Routine Immunization.
- Support activities aimed at improving Routine Immunization Data Quality, including DQS.
- Monitor implementation of priority activities aimed at smooth introduction of new vaccines.
- Conduct monthly review of implementation of REW micro-plans and RI performance with particular attention to indicators included in the Routine Immunization Accountability Framework.
Cross Cutting Tasks:
- Support capacity building and mentorship of subordinates (LGA Facilitators, Field Volunteers) including through preparation of weekly work-plans and reports.
- Conduct advocacy to promote stake-holder ownership and participation in immunization activities
- strengthen partnership with Government officials, Traditional Leaders, Civil Society, Religious Leaders, Women’s Groups, Professional Associations, Civil Society… etc.
- Provide any support as requested by WHO State Coordinator.
- Essential: University Degree, preferably in one of the following: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Public Health.
- Desirable: Post-graduate degree in Public Health, preferably in Epidemiology or other related public health fields
- At least 5 years’ experience in EPI/PEI activities in similar roles in an organization concerned with public health management.
- Prior working experience with international nongovernmental organization (INGOs), WHO/UN, health clusters partners, recognized humanitarian organizations.
Use of Language Skills:
- Advanced level spoken and written English.
- Desirable: Understanding local languages.
- Senior Manager, Business Planning & Intelligence at IHS Towers
- Project Manager at Intersos Humanitarian Organisation
- National Consultant at World Health Organisation(WHO)
- Senior Consultant
- Strategy & Business Performance Manager at PricewaterhouseCooper (PwC)
- Business Consultant at Tampico Beverages
- Software Consultant at Lorache Consulting Limited
- National Industry Consultation Meeting Consultant at UNICEF Nigeria
- General Manager at The Bridge Empire Consultancy
- Business Analyst at Venture Garden Group