Field Coordinator Vacancy at Solidarites International
Solidarites International - For over 35 years, the humanitarian aid organization Solidarites International has been committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Position: Field Coordinator
Job Locations: Maiduguri / Monguno / Ngala
Desired start date: 2/01/2018
Duration of the mission: 12 months
- SI started a program in Borno State (LGA Jere and Monguno) in 2016, and is now a major WaSH actor in the area.
- A complete response is provided to displaced and host communities in Maiduguri suburbs, IDP camps and host communities in four LGAs in Borno State.
- The state of Borno gathers alone the largest part of internally displaced persons (1,7 million). About 1,4 million displaced people are in need of aid assistance in Borno. Access is a significant challenge and some programs are monitored remotely. Besides, a high number of aid actors are now operating in the area and coordination is still weak.
- With 5 projects ongoing, not only in WaSH, but also shelter and logistics, Solidarites International is addressing the immediate needs of populations affected by the current political and military crisis.
IDPs in host communities:
- Situation in host communities is not homogenous and despite the efforts of the humanitarian community, there is no comprehensive assessment that could catch the picture of the situation of the host communities in Borno State.
- Many areas are not covered by humanitarian assistance and some are still not assessed.
- In the different LGAs, information on host communities are insufficient and needs are not well enough identified.
Camp like settings:
- Majority of IDPs live in camp-like settings, protected by the army and with restriction of movements, even if some movements outside the settlement are authorized in the majority of the camps to allow IDPs to carry out livelihood activities (firewood collection, labour, etc.).
- Humanitarian situation is critical with basic needs not covered for IDPs. WASH facilities are not sufficient, WFP food funds are reaching their maximum covering 1.3 million persons and health structures are not enough in capacity to cover all the needs.
Organization of the mission
- The Nigeria mission is currently stabilized, following its recent opening. Due to projects’ expansion, a substantial increase in base staffing is ongoing.
- The Monguno and Ngala bases are each composed of an Administrative and Logistics Base Manager and Project Managers.
- The Dikwa base is composed of one Field Coordinator and a MultiSectorial Project manager.
- Access to bases is relying on UNHAS helicopters with daily movements. Security level is reaching 3 on a scale of 5, and 4 in the bases. A specific curfew is set in each area, and strict security rules are in place.
- The mission has a coordination team based in Maiduguri, operational bases in Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa and Ngala.
- The Coordination team is constituted of a Head of Mission, an Administrative Coordinator, a Logistic Coordinator managing a Deputy, and Deputy Country Director managing a WASH coordinator, a Shelter advisor, a MEAL advisor and a Grant manager.
- In Maiduguri the team is currently composed of one Field Coordinator, a Project Manager, a Base Logistician and an Administrator.
About the Job
- The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Head of Mission for a region of a country in which Solidarités International intervenes.
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
- He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
- He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
- He/she is the Head of Mission's direct contact and representative.
- Education: Project Management and/or WaSH or Foods Security background.
- Experience: Work in Emergency Context and Remote set up, Developing country strategy and programing & mission opening
- Languages: Excellent English command (spoken and written) essential; Haussa and Kanuri a strong asset.
- Other desirable qualities: unstable security conditions in Maiduguri, ability to adapt and work under pressure
- Technical skills and knowledge: Experience in Livelihoods, Cash based assistance, Experience in WASH programs
- Transferable skills: Proposal writing, Assessment
SI will Offer You
A salaried post:
- According to experience from 2200 euros gross per month (2000 base salary plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem.
- Accompanied with 500 usd monthly per diem.
Social and medical cover:
- Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- During the assignment, the expatriate is entitled to R&R every three months: five days at three months with a 750 usd allowance and 10 days at six months with a plane ticket back home covered by Solidarités.
- After 6 weeks one the field, expatriate will be encouraged to take 1 week in Abuja (3 days off and 2 days in office)
- Front Desk Executive
- Branch Admin Officer at Nigerian Stock Exchange
- Entry Clearance Officer at The British High Commission
- Management Support Officer at Plan International Nigeria
- Office Cleaner/Assistant
- Office Administrator
- Senior Administrative Officer at International Rescue Committee
- Administrative Assistant at The European Commission
- Office Assistant
- Front Desk Officer/Receptionist