Intern Recruitment at Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit
The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ's portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Intern - Enabling Business Environment for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Investment
VA No: 080
Job Location: Abuja
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Nigeria Energy Support Programme (NESP)
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2019, we generated a business volume of around EUR 3.1 billion. Our 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 556 development workers in action in partner countries.
- Furthermore, in 2019, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the German Federal Employment Agency, placed 262 integrated experts and 515 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
- *Personnel and business figures as at 31 December 2019*.
- The Nigerian Energy Support Programme (NESP) is co-funded by the European Union and the German Government and implemented jointly by Federal Ministry of Power and Deutsche Gesellschaft fu?r Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). It aims at enabling and fostering investments in a domestic market for Renewable Energy (RE) and Energy Efficiency (EE) and improve access to electricity in Nigeria.
- As part of the programme and in close collaboration with its public and private partners, the unit “Enabling Environment for RE and EE Investments” aims at strengthening quality delivery and control mechanisms to enhance an enabling market environment for the application of and investments in RE and EE. This includes activities with Federal Ministry of Power (FMP), Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade, and Investments (FMITI), Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON), Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF), Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), business associations as well as the private sector.
- Concrete partnerships and activities have been established with FMP and other relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) as part of the Programme Steering Committee and Technical Working Group (TWG).
- Based on the above, the programme is currently supporting the key stakeholders above in developing new standards on solar photovoltaic components, adopting and implementing efficiency codes and standards in the building and industrial sectors, enabling access to finance for RE and EE projects, developing an internet based One-stop Investment Centre Energy Desk (OSIC), as well as with establishing a streamlined import-process for renewable energy and energy efficiency equipment.
- As an intern, you will work within the Unit on Enabling Environment for RE and EE Investments. Your job will be to support the Head in the general management of the Unit.
- You will also be responsible for supporting each of the Advisors in the implementation of their specific activities especially regarding RE and EE standards development.
- Support the development of standards on RE and EE
- Support the procurement of an Air conditioning (AC) testing facility for NESP partner
- Support the advisors to plan and organise workshops
- Support in the monitoring and reporting of the Unit activities
- Assist in preparing and coordinating consultancy assignments
- Support in organising travel and logistics as required.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of the areas on which you will assist:
- Overarching operational planning and monitoring of unit activities
- Overarching budget planning
- Web based monitoring of unit’s activities
- Team meetings preparation and participation
- Coordination with the other NESP Units, local partners, donors.
- Programme/activity planning relating to RE and EE standards
- Budgeting for activities related to RE and EE standards and procurement
- Monitoring the implementation of consulting assignments on RE/EE standards (incl. commenting on reports; verification of consulting invoices etc).
- Strengthening collaborations with partners
- Implementation of collaborations with partners and consultants;
- Preparation of documents (e.g. studies, reports, work plans etc).
- Organisation of field missions (for NESP local partners, staff and/or consultants).
- Organisation of events (e.g. workshops, exhibitions…).
- Administration (e.g. preparation of travel claims as required e.g. for partners).
- Is familiar with all components of the Programme, concepts and status of implementation and knows the corresponding experts and staff.
- Represents the interest of the GIZ and the Programme and always acts on its behalf; and
- Carries out important tasks for the Programme, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description; performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Management.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- At least a University Degree with a specialization on Energy or a related field.
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English. Knowledge of local languages would be an asset.
- Advanced knowledge on MS Office.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly to any region in Nigeria (including rural areas).
According to GIZ salary scale for Interns.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Vacancy no. 080” as the subject of the mail.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Project Support Intern Recruitment at MacTay Consulting
- HR Intern (Operations) Recruitment at MainOne Cable
- Massive Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria Internship Programme 2022
- Data Analytics Intern Recruitment at Novartis Pharma Services
- Industrial Trainee Recruitment at Griz Merchandise Company Limited
- HR Intern (Volunteer) Recruitment at Nicole Sinclair
- YouthHubAfrica Graduate Media Internship Program (MIP) 2022
- InMotion ICT Hub Limited Software Developer Internship Program 2022
- Graduate Intern Recruitment at DCSL Corporate Services Limited
- IT Officer Recuitment at Dayntee Farms Limited