International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Protection Officer
Requisition: SVN 2018/119 (P)
Job Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has been implementing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) projects in North East Nigeria since 2014. The projects seek to address the psychosocial needs of the displaced populations and their host community, as affected by the on-going emergency.
- Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (Emergency Response (ER)), and under the direct supervision of the Project Manager (Mental Health and Psychosocial Support), the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of the projects as part of the IOM emergency response in North East Nigeria.
- Part of the activities seek to address protection concerns with an emphasis on Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA). S/he will be expected to monitor and have an overview of the protection aspects of the IOM North East Nigeria project implementation.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
More particularly, he/she will be responsible for the following duties:
- Act as a protection focal point and protection resource person for the emergency operation unit. This includes provision of technical inputs and guidance in the development of project proposals and implementing project components specifically with regards to protection issues.
- Provide technical guidance to the MHPSS teams and project coordinator by making recommendations on GBV responses, on the job training, and field monitoring of the activities to ensure quality standards are met and in line with the relevant guidelines and project indicators, particularly with regards to protection integration.
- When needed and feasible, facilitate the provision of responses to individual cases of concern, and refer them as appropriate.
- Conduct capacity building and awareness raising initiatives (orientation seminars, training, briefings and project reviews) for relevant working group members, sector working group partners and other field based colleagues.
- Liaise and coordinate with relevant stakeholders such as government actors, UN agencies, NGOs and civil society in relation to the project activities, including representing IOM in relevant sector working group meetings.
- Ensure consolidation of reports on arising protection issues, on protection response and provide inputs for weekly and monthly reports as well as for any other relevant documents being developed.
- Ensure the maintenance of proper documentation, filing and tracking systems of the project activities.
- Participate in the development of new projects in coordination with the project manager based on identified needs during project implementation.
- Monitor and provide suggestions regarding the integration of cross-cutting issues such as protection, gender, child protection, counter trafficking and other vulnerable groups are included in the project implementation.
- Act as a PSEA resource person and provide technical inputs for the development of PSEA strategy in line with global standards and in coordination with the In Country PSEA Task Force.
- Undertake duty travel to very challenging areas when necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master's Degree in Psychology, Social Sciences, International Relations, Human Rights Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or University Degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in coordinating humanitarian programmes, especially in emergency settings;
- Participation to IOM corporate training in MHPSS an asset;
- Preferably within the International Humanitarian Field and within the organizations of the UN Common System.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Accountability - takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation - works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning - promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication - listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative - actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation - develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management - identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork - contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
- Sales & Visa Counselling (SVC)
- Community Mobilizer Job at Plan International
- Community Mobilizer Job at Plan International
- Regional Business Manager Job at Greenlight Planet
- Community Mobilization Officer Job at Save the Children
- Latest Recruitment at the British High Commission, April 2019
- Livelihoods and Food Security Officer Recruitment at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Community Mobilization Officer Job at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)
- Assistant Technical Officer, Safe Healing & Learning at FHI 360
- Nigerian Prisons Service Shortlists Candidates For Interview 2019