Public Affairs Specialist Job at the U.S Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Position: Public Affairs Specialist
Announcement Number: Abuja-2020-052
Job Location: Abuja
Series/Grade: LE - 6002 10
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-10
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: Yes
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: 25% or less
- Travel for Public Affairs related programs.
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM - FP is 05. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C:
- All Interested Candidates/All Sources
- The Public Affairs Specialist is the senior FSN in the Public Affairs section and a subject matter specialist in the areas of media and communications whose primary position is to analyze the Nigerian and international media, plan all media outreach programs and interviews and provide short and long term planning under Mission goals.
- In short, this person carries out the media activities and ensures placement of public diplomacy materials. Develops and maintains contacts with top-level GON officials (to include the president’s spokesman, MFA Spokesman and the Minister of Information), the Nigerian and international press, educational and cultural institutions throughout Nigeria. Serves as local spokesperson to the media. Organizes and implements public diplomacy communications strategy for cultural and exchange programs.
- Directs posts Hausa translation and publication efforts, both for print and online. Supervises and authorizes the contract with the printer of the Mission’s in-house Hausa language magazine “Magama”. Lastly, supervises and evaluates the performance of two locally employed staff.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- University degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or political science is required.
- Five years’ work experience in journalism or public relations closely associated with the media industry which includes one year experience as a spokesperson or official public representative for an organization authorized to speak with the media is required.
- Must know essential traits of new writing and reporting. Full knowledge of Freedom of Information Act and journalistic ethics, principles of program management and execution is required.
- Must be able to conceptualize and strategize in short-term and long-term goals. Must have knowledge of event management/planning.
- These may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Advanced level in speaking/reading/writing of English is required. Advanced level in speaking Hausa Language is required.
Skills And Abilities:
- Assertiveness with tact in inter-personal relations,
- Good judge of character/personality,
- Leadership and managerial qualities related to subordinates needs,
- Quick and accurate drafting/communication skills,
- Articulate, poise under fire with respect to answering media inquiries,
- Self-starter and able to work in a fast paced,
- Stressful environment is required.
- Incumbent must have strong computer skills and video/podcast editing and production skills.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
Equal Employment Opportunity (Eeo):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- NGN 12,772,559
- USD $53,065
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit (If applicable)
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section 09-461-4000 HRNigeria@state.gov
- Norak Technologies Limited Recruitment for Video Editor - Trainee
- Studio Photographer Job at Elite Studio Nigeria
- Media Operator Job at MINISO Lifestyle Nigeria Limited
- Creative Studio Manager Job at Ion-Forte Limited
- Video Editor Job at Norak Technologies Limited
- Cinematographer / Video Editor Job at Kraks Media Limited
- Presenter Job at Groschen Pieces Nigeria
- Radio Presenter Job at Fesadeb Media Group
- BBC World Recruitment for Journalist, BBC Pidgin Service
- Entertainment Reporter Job at Mighty Media Plus Network Limited