Senior Health Officer, Monguno
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Senior Health Officer
Job Location: Monguno, Borno
Scope of Work
- The Senior Health Officer is the supervisor for IRC’s primary health care services in Monguno LGA, Borno State. S/he reports to the Health Manager.
Job Roles and Responsibilities
- The senior health officer shall be responsible for the supervision and day-to-day management of health activities within Monguno, including primary health care services at the mobile clinic outreach sites.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment according to national guidelines and protocols, including management of emergencies and complications and ensure patient follow-up as needed.
- The senior health officer will identify need for referral to secondary care and prepare the patient for referral including referral notes, pre-referral treatment and arrangement of transport.
- S/he will provide on-the-job support to the health staff, including training and skills development as needed.
- Provide technical support on management of care of STIs and male GBV cases.
- Maintain infection prevention and control within and around the facilities
- Together with the clinical officer, recruit, train and supervise community volunteers for community sensitization and outreach activities.
- Coordinate with State Primary Health Development Agency and other actors in the area and maintain good relations with them,
- In coordination with the Health Manager identify opportunities to strengthen the health program
- S/he will oversee the stock management of medicines, medical supplies, medical equipment and prepare timely requisitions for replenishment based on consumption records.
- S/he will collect weekly morbidity reports and monitor disease trends in order to preposition adequate supplies as may be required.
- Participate in outbreak response and control coordination when applicable and carry out community-based public health interventions during communicable disease outbreaks.
- Seek out and nurture quality partnerships with community structures and support staff in coordination of activities with community volunteers and groups.
- Collaborate with other relevant sectors such as Women Protection & Empowerment, Child Protection, Protection and Rule of law and Environmental Health to ensure holistic service package is available in response to the needs.
Human Resource Management:
- Monitor and supervise the health staff and ensure that work is done properly and efficiently
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Develop ongoing education programs for health staff, and conduct trainings and on-the-job training for health.
- Review personnel issues and concerns of health staff and assist in determining and implementing solutions.
- Determine personnel needs for field-level activities, and in coordination with the Health Manager and Human Resources Lead assist in recruitment of staff.
- Recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of health staff to the Health Manager
- Monitor staff daily attendance to duty posts and ensure time sheets are correctly filled and submitted monthly.
- Ensure project activities are implemented according to the work plan and within the allocated budgets.
- Prepare weekly work plans with the health teams.
- Provide recommendations and interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact budget adherence.
- Monitor closely the morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators to ensure that prompt actions are taken.
- Provide weekly activity reports to the Health Manager.
- Attend meetings concerning overall health program issues
- Supervise and regular review and revise training manuals to maintain consistency with the acceptable protocols.
- Keep the Field Manager informed of all developments and issues arising.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery from a recognized institution or an equivalent with preferably Masters in Public Health
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity, able to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
- Must be registered with Nigeria Medical Practitioners and Dentist Council and allowed to practice in Nigeria.
- Two years’ experience in clinical medicine including obstetrics, and public health.
- Experience in supervising health staff at the primary health care level
- Preferably trained in Basic (and Comprehensive) Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care
- Ability to work with displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Able to work in location with basic living conditions and with limited communication options.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Word and Excel.
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The security situation in the NE continues to be volatile at level 3 (orange). Security level as it’s one of the three states of emergency (SoE) in the NE of the country.
- The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments.
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Note: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.