Senior Software Engineer ( Linux Engineering) Job at Canonical Nigeria
Canonical - We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means 'humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world's biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world's most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation - Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it's the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Positon: Senior Software Engineer ( Linux Engineering)
Job Location: Lagos (Remote)
- This is a fast-paced engineering role in Linux-based software-defined infrastructure and applications, covering all layers of the stack, including bare metal, virtualization (KVM) and containerization (LXC/LXD), storage (Ceph and Linux filesystems), networking (OVS, OVN and Core networking), up to OpenStack and Kubernetes, and the open source applications running on top of them.
- This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and open source to build a career with Canonical and drive success for our customers, community and the company. If you have an affinity for open source development, great communication skills, and a passion for troubleshooting and fixing issues in technology used by millions across the world, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
- This role deals with critical issues in the open source stack that require software engineering for upstream fixes.
- Our engineers have to be able to work productively at any level of the stack above the kernel, in a wide range of languages, to understand and address the software issues at hand.
- Our group is critical to the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu itself.
- You will help with troubleshooting and driving issues to resolution with workarounds, guidance, and fixes to be released upstream and in Ubuntu.
As a Linux Engineer you will:
- Resolve complex customer problems related to Ubuntu, Kernel, or Ceph
- Maintain a close working relationship with Canonical's field, support and product engineering teams
- Participate in upstream communities
- Participate in team discussions to improve processes, tools, and documentation
- Maintain clear, technical and concise communications
- Develop fixes, backport patches, and work with upstream for inclusion
- Demonstrate good judgement in technical methods and techniques
- Prioritise work and manage your time effectively against those priorities
- Travel internationally up to 10% of work time for team meetings, events and conferences
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks per year for internal and external events
The successful Linux Engineer will Have
- Bachelor's or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Professional experience as a software engineer is required
- Strong experience with Linux, Ceph, OpenStack, Kubernetes or other cloud technologies
- Strong development-level experience with Python, Go, C or C++ on Linux
- Ability to troubleshoot with gdb and other tools
- Familiarity with git source code repositories and branches
Who You Are:
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have interest in, and experience with most of the following: Ubuntu Linux - kernel or userspace, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, Go, C, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging, distributed systems
- Learning and personal professional development budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Generous parental leave
- Priority Pass for
- Software Engineer (Linux / Python or Go) Job at Canonical Nigeria
- DevOps Engineer Job at Uridium Technologies
- Backend Developer (.NET, C#) Job at NimbleByte Global
- Mobile Developer with Flutter Job at NimbleByte Global
- Fullstack Developer Job at NimbleByte Global
- Website and Social Media Manager Job in Lagos
- Vatebra Limited Recruitment for UI / UX Design Intern
- Frontend Engineer (Talent Pool) Job at Kuda Bank
- Full-Stack Developer Associate Job at Deloitte
- Job Vacancies at Bulqsoft