National Forest Inventory, Database Design and Data Analyst Job at FAO-UN
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) - An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: National Forest Inventory, Database Design and Data Analyst
Job Location: Abuja
Job Type: Service Contract - NPP
Duration: 8 Months
General Description Of Task(S) And Objectives To Be Achieved
- The Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (FCPF) is supporting the Federal Government of Nigeria to develop her REOO+ readiness process by expanding the process initiated at Cross River State (through UN REDO Programme) to Nassarwa and Ondo States; and by upscaling the sub-National FREL initiated at CRS to the entire country. Part of the Readiness funds have been allocated to undertake ‘low intensity” foest inventory in different ecological zones in Nigeria; and FAD will be supporting Nigeria in the implementation of this activity through a Technical Assistance (TA) Agreement(UTF/NIR/066/NIR) signed between the Federal Government of Nigeria and FAa. Output 2 of the TA Agreement is concerned with the design of inventory methodology, capacity building on NFl field data collection, field data collection, data base development and data analysis.
- The main objective of this assignment is to supervise/coordinate the implementation of national forest (carbon) inventory field data collection, design a NFl database, supervise/coordinate data entry, data cleaning, processing and analysis of the forest inventory data, within the framework of a Technical Assistance (TA) Agreement (UTF/NIR/066/NIR).
Scope of Services
Under the overall supervision of the FAG Representative (FAOR) in Nigeria, the technical guidance) of the Regional Technical Forestry Officer at the FAG Regional Office for Africa (FAORAF), and in close collaboration with the National REDD+Coordination Unit for Nigeria, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
- Support the design and testing of the NFl methodology in accordance with the current IPCC guidelines and Guidance under the UNFCCC;
- Provide ongoing support to the Project Coordinator in preparing work plans and reporting on progress on NFl activities;
- Collate, review and assess existing historic forest inventory datasets and forest inventory information management systems in Nigeria and make recommendations on their appropriateness or not for updating with NFl data to be collected;
- Compile and harmonize all existing data in a central and functional NFl database containing tree species list, existing allometric equations, and wood densities; and assess their relevance to biomass and carbon stocks estimates for REDD+ MRV purposes
- Design the database in a format appropriate to the data parameters collected in the National Forest Inventory
- Assist in the development of training manuals/field measurement protocol for NFl and preparation of the training documents; and assistance in organizing technical training workshop of field crews prior to field data collection;
- Provide continuous and on-the-spot capacity strengthening/coaching to field inventory teams for effective and efficient implementation of the NFl;
- Participate in the selection and organization of inventory field teams, including assignment of roles and responsibilities to team members, institutionalization a regular reporting system of field activities, and ensuring that weekly reports and completed field data sheets are collected and securely stored, monitoring field equipment status and maintenance/repairs, planning and implementing communication flow around the NFl, etc.
- Supervise the field crews during field data collection and perform regular spot checks, as deemed necessary; and report on any implementation bottlenecks timeously and propose solutions to them.
- support and coordinate For staff in the data entering, data cleansing, and database maintenance and management;
- Provide inputs into the final NFl report(particularly data entry, cleansing and management)
- Undertake,with FoF staff data analysis and production of final NFl report.
- Produce Terminal Report for the consultancy using appropriate FAO reporting template.
- Detailed NFl work plan based on TA agreement;
- Detailed ToRs for NFl field team members, including roles and responsibilities;
- NFl database system populated with inventory data
- Other materials developed, including presentations, information kits, white papers, prepared for meetings, workshops an do ther consultative events during the contract period.
- Monthly reports of the NFl field work progress;
- Training reports on the implementation of NFl, NFl design and data processing;
- Field mission reports including recommendations to improve the quality of and team work.
- NFI final report.
Qualification and Experience Criteria
The NFl Field Supervisor shall meet the following minimum requirements in qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree (MSc, but preferably PhD) in Forestry/Forest Inventory and/or Forest Mensuration;
- At least 7 years of experience in forest inventory, forest biometry, data processing and analysis; including relevant experience of forest carbon with excellent field experience in leading field inventory teams, in measurement;
- Extent and relevance of academic achievements in subjects relevant to forest inventory (example, scientific publications on forest inventory, and allometric equations).
- Good Knowledge of REDD+, MRV procedures and IPCC Guidelines and Guidance for GHG inventories in the LULUCF sector.
- Excellent oral and written communication and managerial skills;
- Strong ability working with, and coordinating field team in forestry;
- Practical skills in the use of forest measurement equipment, including modern laser equipment;
- Practical experience in the development of NFl databases
- Excellent analytical skills, and use of statistical software for data analysis, including open source software (e.g. R-package).
- Demonstrated ability work in, and coordinate inventory teams, take initiatives and ability to deliver results within stipulated deadlines.
Application Closes on...
29th December, 2017.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications which should include detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) as well as copies of all academic and professional certificates.
Candidates applying for this position are further required to apply through the FAO iRecruitment system:
Click here to apply via iRecruitment System
Kindly complete the online "FAO Personal Profile Form" in iRecruitment which can be accessed from any Internet connection. Please scan the completed form and send the same along with your credentials ELECTRONICALLY via e-mail to: FAO-NG@fao.organd should be addressed to:
The FAO Representative in Nigeria,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN),
Abuja - Nigeria.
- Creative Graphic Designer
- Massive Recruitment at Tetra Tech Nigeria
- Finance / Stock Administrator
- Admin and Log Assistant
- Ongoing Recruitment at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Administrative Associate
- Job Vacancies in a Christian Nursery and Primary School in Lagos
- Ongoing Recruitment in a Hospital & Health Maintenance Organization (HMO)
- Sales Support Officers