Governance Consultant - SIPML Job at Stanbic IBTC Bank
Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa's financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Governance Consultant - SIPML
Job ID: 38960
Job Location: Island, Lagos
Job Sector: Governance
- Legal: guidance across all areas and geographies to ensure: every transaction is appropriately negotiated, documented and implemented, losses arising from litigation are minimised, and legal issues carrying negative reputational consequences are avoided.
- To work directly with the Company Secretary to fulfil his role. In addition to this, the incumbent is expected to ensure that the Company adopts the highest standards of corporate governance; that each subsidiary company board is properly constituted, functioning properly and recording its activities.
Board and board committees:
- Ensure that each board and all board committees function in terms of their mandates.
- Monitor all board papers and minutes. Maintain record of important agenda items such as dividends, changes in capital, appointment and resignation of directors, opening / closing points of representation, and special resolutions.
- Follow up and make sure that all necessary governance processes are complied with in respect of the appointment and resignation of directors.
- Provide induction and training to non-executive directors on their duties and responsibilities when serving on the board of the Company, in line with International Best Practice.
- Ensure all mandates and policies with relation to Corporate Governance are in place, updated regularly and reviewed annually. Where necessary obtain group approval.
- Ensure that annual reports are prepared and contain commentary on corporate governance, risk management; social and environmental issues and that they include reports by managing director and board chairman.
- Research on corporate governance-related trends.
- Maintain a register of correspondence from Regulator and other stakeholders; monitoring and follow up to ensure that all requirements are met / complied with.
- Act as Secretary to the Board and Board Committees as may be assigned to me by the Group Company Secretary.
- Assist with the preparation of Section 52 and 55 Applications for submission to Registrar of Banks covering the formation of any new subsidiary companies and ensure that correct governance processes are followed and all necessary board and regulatory approvals are received and recorded. Once approved follow up and ensure compliance of all conditions of sanction.
- Maintain record of, and update information regarding capital; shareholders etc.; and ensure that copies of regulatory documents are held such as Memorandum and Articles of Association; Certificates of Incorporation; Certificates of Increase in Share Capital; Particulars of Directors; and Annual Returns etc.
- Attend to other specific projects as requested by the Company Secretary.
Key Performance Measures:
- Proper functioning of boards and their committees within their mandates;
- Committee secretarial services for executive committees are efficient and effective, and comply with the requirements of policy and standards;
- All reporting requirements are handled timeously and are of a high standard
- Significant matters are brought to the attention of the Group Company Secretary; and
- Ad-hoc projects are completed as per project deliverables.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Related experience within a similar environment; and 4 - 8 years in a banking or company secretarial environment.
Knowledge and Experience
- Relevant tertiary qualification with a comprehensive understanding of principles of corporate governance practices and conduct;
- A sound knowledge of banking and the regulatory environment at home and abroad;
- Computer literate (MS suite of products).
- A good knowledge of The Companies and Allied Matters Act; Banking Regulations; Securities and Exchange Commission Regulations; and any other relevant guidelines and regulations.
- A clear understanding of Corporate Governance with particular reference to the responsibilities and duties of directors. Must be able to transfer knowledge through in country training workshops.
- Able to communicate both verbally and in writing. Good writing skills essential for minute taking.
- Problem solving, planning and decision making
- The ability to source information, interpret facts and reach a conclusion with minimum supervision;
- The ability to recommend and implement solutions;
- The job requires the incumbent to be able to handle authority expediently, be orientated towards immediate accomplishments and to be a firm decision-maker;
- The incumbent is expected to conduct research within the legislative framework both locally and within other jurisdictions with a view to enhancing and adopting best practices;
- Needs to be independent, innovative and pragmatic; and
- The incumbent will be required to adapt process and standards within a dynamic environment.
- The ability to demonstrate that planning is outcomes based and has a structured approach; and
- The job requires significant attention to detail.
- Decisions and conclusions should be reached independently prior to escalation to the Group Company Secretary; and
- Decisions made are based on a consultative approach with executive management, however it is expected that solutions are recommended prior to consultation.
- Risk Advisor (Insurance Marketer) Job at Lasaco Assurance Plc
- Insurance Executive Job at Coinbox limited
- Chief Commercial Officer Job at ACCION Microfinance Bank Limited
- Recovery Officer and Loan Marketer Job at BAOBAB
- Insurance Executive Job at Coinbox limited
- Retail Banking Officer Job at Prudential Mortgage Bank
- Insurance Advisor Job at Leadway Assurance Company Limited
- Head, Document MGT Recruitment at First Bank of Nigeria
- Leadway Assurance Company Limited Recruitment for an Insurance Marketer
- Loan Officer Job at Karferry Limited