Livelihood Assistant at Intersos Humanitarian Organisation
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Livelihood Assistant
Job Location: Banki, Ngala; Borno – North East Nigeria (100% field)
Reporting to: Livelihood Officer/ Snr Livelihood Officer
Supervision of: Direct supervision of 5 staff (nationals)
Starting date: 15th November, 2018
Duration of contract: 3 month (Extendable)
Slot: 6 Openings
General context of the project
- The Boko Haram armed opposition insurgency started in 2009 and Maiduguri was the epicentre of the armed conflict. The armed conflict later spread to all twenty-seven (27) Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Borno State, North East Nigeria. The conflict took an international dimension as it spread to the neighbouring countries of Cameroun, Niger and Chad, resulting in the displacement of millions of people across all four frontiers. The Armed Opposition Group (AOG) has been killing people in both rural and urban centres in their quest to form a hairline Islamic State in the north east of Nigeria.
- A high number of towns and cities have been burned and destroyed. Social services and amenities have also been destroyed and are now non-existent. Agricultural activities which used to be the source of food security and livelihoods among the rural communities of the North East are no longer existent. Joint military operations by Cameroun, Nigeria, Chad and Niger have resulted in the liberation of 15 LGAs.
Tasks and responsibilities
- The Livelihood Assistant will provide field activity support and implementation. He/she will promote values participatory approaches throughout the project cycle (identification of beneficiaries, awareness raising and sensitisation, Livelihood project activities, Pre and Post Activities Monitoring (PDM) as well as monitoring and evaluation under direct supervision of Livelihood Officer. During absence of Livelihood Officer, the position will be wholly accountable for project under direct supervision of Livelihood Field Coordinator.
- Assist in all the Livelihood activities including Livelihood beneficiary targeting, and general program implementation.
- Conduct training and sensitisation activities related to the Livelihood project.
- Assist in Planning, supervising and monitoring training, awareness and sensitisation activities, including maintenance and verification of all supporting documentation and activities.
- Assist in Maintaining records of all activities, in order to complete timely reports for INTERSOS and for external actors, including donors.
- Assist in Planning, coordination and monitoring all Livelihood-related activities, including Natural Resources Management, Crop Production, Income Generation activities, Small scale Agricultural Marketing Strategy, Post-Harvest Management and the Food for Assets activities etc.
- Assist the Livelihood Officer in project documentation.
- Promote the rights of displaced people and affected populations, and explore and assess new and better ways to provide timely, effective and appropriate assistance.
- Assist in gap analysis, needs assessment, conducting registration, receiving commodities and distributing to beneficiaries in locations adversely affected by the conflict.
- Ensure to enhance own capacity building by identifying need to immediate supervisor;
- Implement other tasks as might be required with relation to the INTERSOS Country Program in Nigeria.
- B.Sc/HND Degree in Agricultural Science / Engineering, Animal Science
- Minimum 1 years of experience from at national level project implementation position in a humanitarian / recovery context;
- Experience working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Technical Livelihood knowledge of Natural Resources Management, Crop Production, Water & Irrigation Management, Poultry Production, Animal breeding & brooding, Post-Harvest Management, Small holder Agricultural Market Strategy and WFP Food for Assets program;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Fluency in English, Hausa & Kanuri
- Capacity to adapt to basic living conditions, patience;
- Ability to put up with job pressure;
- Ability to deliver high quality work within tight deadlines;
- Strong negotiation skills;
- INTERSOS reserve right to transfer position as per need / project demand any time during the project. Position will be based in one of base following;
- Gamborou Ngala
- Staff will be responsible to cater for their food at duty station;
- For any sort of field / official visit, travel to & from will be responsibility of INTERSOS including food allowance but travelling from home to duty station will be staff own responsibility (in some cases facilitation could be provided as per urgency)
- No TA/DA will be provided for the field work for which staff will be appointed;
- Other Terms & Condition will be part of Job Contract; The advertised position is subject to availability of funds
- Sales & Visa Counselling (SVC)
- Community Mobilizer Job at Plan International
- Community Mobilizer Job at Plan International
- Regional Business Manager Job at Greenlight Planet
- Community Mobilization Officer Job at Save the Children
- Latest Recruitment at the British High Commission, April 2019
- Livelihoods and Food Security Officer Recruitment at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Community Mobilization Officer Job at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)
- Assistant Technical Officer, Safe Healing & Learning at FHI 360
- Nigerian Prisons Service Shortlists Candidates For Interview 2019