Psychiatric Nurse Job at The Olive Prime Psychological Services
At The Olive Prime Psychological services (TOPS), we are aware of the dynamics of being human and understand that life can sometimes go beyond your capabilities. Additionally, we understand the role genetics and environmental factors play in our mental health and the ability to cope with life.
Difficult situations do arise, and at such times, we are committed to providing the much needed support to our clients and patients, ensuring that each individual experiences a more realistic, flexible journey to Recovery.
Our treatment approach is multidisciplinary and delivered in a safe and comfortable environment with experienced staff that provide specialist services and combine a range of therapeutic interventions.
TOPS became the first Day Hospital addiction and mental health resource center in Nigeria when it opened in Abuja a few years ago. It has since grown to have an inpatient facility in Abuja. TOPS has a robust array of psychological tools and can boast of being one of the few Centers in West Africa that have the latest Psychological Tools like the WISC-V for testing intelligence in younger people. We have a robust Child and Adolescent service. Our Medical Director, Dr Motunrayo Oyelohunnu, who was appointed MD last year on her return from Canada has a special interest in Child and Adolescent psychiatry and is making sure that investments are made in the organisation to cater for the needs of individual and families with young people that have mental and behavioural challenges.
Our Drug rehabilitation program is a blend of both American/Canadian and UK treatment protocols (choosing the best from each service). More importantly we believe in the role of spirituality in treatment, irrespective of your faith. Your spiritual development will be encouraged.
We are now opening a new centre in Lekki Phase 1, Lagos State. It is an 11 -bedded facility. We have just appointed a new Clinical Director, Dr Ibironke Thomas, who is a Consultant Psychiatrist, Dr Thomas is an experienced clinician and versed in management of all forms of psychiatric Disorders. She was trained in family/systemic treatments by the Meriden Centre at Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation NHS Trust. She is one of the big minds in Quality Service delivery within the mental health space in Nigeria.
The Quality and Managerial service will be led by our newly appointed life coach, Murrielle Jean-Michel. Murielle is committed to ensuring the quality of service is same as obtainable in her country in Europe.
TOPS is now a member of the newly formed Intersect Consortium. This is the largest consortium of organisations providing mental and behavioral health treatments in Africa.
We seek to recruit suitable candidates to fill the position below:
Job Position: Psychiatric Nurse
Job Location: Lagos
Reports to: Clinical Lead
- The Psychiatric Nurse will work as part of a team of medical professionals to provide psychiatric nursing care to patients of all ages, gender, religion and disposition, while creating a safe and therapeutic environment to aid their mental stability.
- Responsible for overseeing the delivery of care to all patients delegating duties and monitoring junior staff carrying these out
- Assess all identified group of patients and new admissions to the Practice
- To ensure that identified care planning is implemented and evaluated for all patients especially those within their identified groups
- To ensure that care given is individualized, patient centered and in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team and other statutory and voluntary organizations as appropriate
- To orientate newly admitted patient on the principles, rules and regulations governing the unit at the point of admission and ensure that these rules are strictly adhered to by the patients
- To ensure that all the policies and admission documents are signed by the patient and their relations where applicable
- The Nurse will be involved in performing patient personal care duties, which would include washing, bathing and dressing using appropriate hoists and aids. Often uses equipment and clinical procedures requiring knowledge e.g. subcutaneous infusions, catheter care, wound care, pressure relieving equipment
- The Nurse will be able to conduct and interpret a Urine Drug Test for patients and clients and document the results appropriately
- Ensure that a Urine Drug Test is conducted for all patient on board at any point if there is a suspected case of smuggling of substance into the facility
- The Nurse would spend extensive parts of the shift in direct/indirect (overseeing and monitoring) patient care
- Also dedicate time during the shift writing clinical reports, and updating care plans. Also the Nurse will be expected to undertake supervision/performance appraisal of junior staff, as directed by the Head of Clinical Services
- To engage in pickup of new or old clients as required
- Observe assigned patients on a daily basis to identify, interpret, and document physical and emotional status and/or patterns, such as assaultive or suicidal behavior, and response to treatment or medication.
- Inspect patient rooms every morning
- Check to ensure that the number of patients at handover tallies with the number at takeover given allowance for discharged cases in the course of the day.
- Inspect rooms to ensure air conditioner and lights are switched off when patients are not in room
- Ensure vital signs are taken 2 times a day
- Work with the support workers to see to the personal hygiene of patients in the morning
- Ensure the dining area is kept clean when not in use, ensure support worker/cook take the dishes to the kitchen immediately after every meal
- Administer psychotropic medications to patients, monitors use, and documents reactions; educate patients on the purpose, dosage, and side effects of medication, and explain the implications of patient's refusal to take prescribed medication.
- Provide crisis intervention to those individuals experiencing acute episodes.
- Obtain medical, psychiatric, social, and family histories of new admissions; take and record vital signs; obtain lab specimens and assist physicians with physical exams
- Schedules and arranges for special tests; develops discharge plans; maintains charts and logs; performs catheterizations and enemas; and draws blood.
- Aid patients in obtaining proper medical care, after release or during hospitalization, by identifying community agencies and resources to assist patients with stabilization while living in the community.
- Interact with private medical facilities, courts, and Federal and State agencies to express concerns of the patient and to discuss treatment also when required, testify in court as to the patient's mental and physical condition.
- When needed, acts as a team leader, on a rotational basis, for an assigned shift; plan, assign, and review the work of other regular nursing staff, student nurses, mental health technicians and support staff.
- To be able to deliver services and treatment in patient’s own environment whenever the need arises
- Ensure protected meal time is properly implemented
- Inspect patient food before taking it to patients for consumption
- Make Clinical presentations during clinical meetings and during business meetings.
- Ensure take home medications are well dispensed for patient going on weekend leave
Requirements and Experience
- Must be a Registered Psychiatric Nurse
- Must be medically and physically fit.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years' work experience as a psychiatric nurse
- In-depth knowledge of mental health laws and regulations;
- Ability to observe emotional and physical behavior;
- Evaluate and assess the need for mental health services;
- Ability to uphold confidentiality;
- Communicate with people of diverse socioeconomic and ethnic origins
- Exercise independent judgment in medical emergencies;
- Demonstrate tact, diplomacy, patience, and compassion;
- Comply with nursing policies, protocols, and program regulations;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title as subject of the email.
- Only individuals who have a high expectation of themselves and are driven to work above and beyond are welcome to apply.
- Delivery of professional and excellent services must be at your core.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be
- Job Openings at the Changeroom
- Job Vacancies at HealthRite Pharmacy Limited
- Medical Officer Job at CypressHill Hospital
- Pharmacist Job at St. Kizito Clinic
- Medical Sales Representative
- Medical Officer Job at Greenbay Healthcare Services Limited
- Quality Health Safety and Environment Consultant Job at ICS Outsourcing Limited
- Job Openings at Sales Force Consulting
- Job Vacancies at Taghini Foods
- Medical Sales Representative