State Coordinator Jobs at Youth Empowerment and Development Initiative
Youth Empowerment and Development Initiative – Founded in 2011, YEDI is a not-for-profit organisation that has benefitted over 220,000 young people in schools and community sites in Lagos, Abuja, Akwa-Ibom, and Ogun, with evidence-based programs designed to build young people’s assets, facilitate their access to health services, and promote their adherence to healthy behaviours.
The YEDI model trains young adult mentors as community change agents (SKILLZ Coaches) to implement age-appropriate and gender-sensitive curricula that combine football metaphors and activities with high impact health information that engage youth and break down cultural barriers. YEDI runs these programmes through fixed and outreach sites, which operate as safe spaces for young people 10-24 years old to access engaging sport-based activities as well as health and social services across the adolescent continuum of care.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Coordinator – USAID Urban Adolescent Health Project
Locations: Lagos or Kano
Reports To (Title): Program Manager
Project Duration: 5 Years (with Annual Work Agreement Renewals)
Start Date: TBD, 2020
- The State Coordinator will support the Program Manager (PM) in the implementation of an anticipated USAID-funded program focused on urban adolescent health and family planning.
- The project, implemented by a consortium of international and local partners, will foster a youth-powered ecosystem to advance urban adolescent health and well-being.
- S/he will work closely with and report directly to the PM, and also accountable to YEDI’s Executive Director (ED) and Director of Programs (PD).
- The two SCs will directly oversee the program implementation activities, outputs and outcomes in their respective states, including timely reporting of all activities conducted, supporting budget development and expenditure monitoring, routine program performance monitoring and evaluation working as led by other team members.
- This position is contingent on final sub-agreement approval between YEDI and our prime consortium partner.
- The ecosystem centres around Youth Hubs, which are safe spaces to access sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) information and referrals.
- The incumbent will support; the development of work plans, budgets, staff supervision, management and the operations of sites in two of the project locations (Lagos and Kano).
- YEDI seeks a qualified candidate for the position of The State Coordinators (SC) – Lagos and Kano for a five-year USAID-funded project focused on empowering youth to think about their futures differently and to access the skills, social capital, and resources to make it happen.
- The primary goal is to improve the health and well-being of urban, poor adolescents age 15–19 by increasing voluntary family planning (FP) uptake and continued use – from a holistic, human capital perspective.
- The SCs will operate under the core leadership of the PM and YEDI’s ED and PD and is responsible for the management and operations in all sites in each of their designated program location.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Program Leadership (50%)
- Stakeholder Management (40%)
- Financial Management/Governance (5%)
- Monitoring and Evaluation (5%)
Program Leadership (50%):
- Manage the state project team and site staff to implement the full package of program services for beneficiary youth populations
- Lead team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Support PM in identifying project staff capacity development needs through periodic performance evaluations.
- Work with project implementing partners’ operations department to identify training venues, support logistics, and coordinate required supply chains for project sites
- Plan and coordinate periodic staff meetings in project state
- Support the planning of travel arrangements for all project team members’ trips to their designated State
- Represent Project and YEDI at relevant state forums
- Oversee all activities, outputs and outcomes related to project implementation at the state level including timely reporting of all activities conducted, budget development and expenditure monitoring, execution of project plans, and routine project performance monitoring and evaluation.
- Assist with the development of work plans and program implementation, including overseeing training and capacity building, community-based sensitization and engagement, testing and counselling, appropriate linkage and referral to health facilities, and support for retention in SRHR/FP/HIV services, according to work plans, targets, national policy, guidelines, and program SOPs.
- Act as the principal liaison among service providers, project site staff, and YEDI head office
Stakeholder Management (40%):
- Engage stakeholders at the state and community levels to build and maintain goodwill towards the project and accurate understanding of project goals to ensure community ownership
- Work closely and manage relations with other Consortium Partners and community partners
- Work closely with other consortia technical teams in implementing project activities including supportive supervision and development of reports and other narratives as required.
- Guide project team members to conduct themselves ethically and professionally, respect participants and community values, and uphold YEDI’s values and policies
- Represent Project and YEDI at relevant community engagement events
Financial Management/Governance (5%):
- Managing monthly state actual expenditure against budgets, identify variances and ensure that the necessary follow up action is taken up with PM and central project office
- Ensure and enforce programme teams’ compliance with all financial policies and procedures (including procurement) in the State
- Assist in preparing financial programme documents and reports for management and donor
Monitoring and Evaluation (5%):
- Work with the M&E team to ensure that the project’s indicators are effectively developed and captured
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master Degree in Public Health or related field is an advantage
Experience, Skills, and Minimum Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years of working experience at the managerial level in Youth/SRHR/FP program in Nigeria or related field development
- Minimum 2 years working experience in managing donor-funded youth-focused projects in at least a state in Nigeria
- Minimum 2 years’ experience directly supervising or managing multidisciplinary teams of at least 5 staff, with demonstrated skills in leading professional teams
- Demonstrated ability to monitor and document observed activities
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and accurate reports
- Good knowledge of basic computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and other multimedia communication platforms like skype
- Exceptional ability to multitask, work independently and autonomously
- Fluency in English, and Hausa – specifically for the Kano Role
- Passion for working with youth
- Specific program experience in engaging adolescents, OVCY programming preferred
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with partners, staff, and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality
- Knowledge of specific state policies and youth development networks would be an advantage
- Demonstrated excellent sense of responsibility and discipline
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and Resume to: email@example.com indicate “State Coordinator – Lagos or Kano” in the subject line of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please note that this role is for a local hire
- Admin Officer Job at Skin Esthetique
- Marketer Job at CornerStone Insurance Plc
- Accounting Assistant Job at Institute of Credit Administration
- Graduate Account Officer Recruitment at Tomi's Treats Limited
- Office Manager / PA Job at Vinci Hair Clinic
- Security Officer Job at Caronik Security
- Business Executive Job at Adron Homes and properties Limited
- Field Service Support Job at Netcom Africa
- Social Media Administrator / Graphics Designer Job at ShepherdHill Security
- Project Manager (FSL) Job at ZOA international