Technical Adviser to NCDC Director General Job at The British Government
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Technical Adviser to NCDC Director General (Management and Operations) (30/19 ABJ)
Job Location: Abuja
Grade: D6 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 18 months
Type of Post: British High Commission
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Global Issues Team
Start Date: 1 September 2019
Main Purpose of the Job
Accountable to the Director General (DG) of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), this position's primary responsibility is ensuring organisational effectiveness by providing technical leadership for NCDC’s human resource (HR), organisational development and operational functions.
- To provide a high level professional HR support to NCDC Directorates to support the delivery of business plans, including the provision of specialist expertise on HR, Employee Relations (ER) and Organisational Development (OD) issues
- To ensure that all HR practices are embedded to support the delivery of NCDC’s mandate/objectives and provide senior leadership across the Directorates
- To ensure that the operational and transformational HR/ER services are aligned within NCDC directorates to promote partnership working as relevant, and the delivery of a proactive service
- To support the DG in ensuring that operations, infrastructure, IT, are fit for purpose and in keeping with times
- To take a lead role in driving the HR/ER agenda forward throughout the organisation, working in partnership with Directorate heads, union representatives, staff and relevant NCDC partners in ensuring that NCDC is an employer of choice and adopting excellent employment practices
- This will include the breadth of human resource, employee relations and operational functions of NCDC, as well as other relevant tasks.
- Working with the management team, the position will lead the development and implementation of systems for the organisational development of NCDC as well as human resource and employee relations policies and practices.
Roles and Responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- The Technical Assistant to the NCDC DG (Management and Operations) will form strong linkages across NCDC Directorates to ensure optimal operational contribution of all directorates involved in delivering and/or supporting the delivery of NCDC programmes and activities:
The Technical Adviser to the NCDC DG (Management and Operations) is responsible for:
- Leading the development and driving the implementation of relevant HR and Employee Relations policies and strategies that take account of existing employment legislation
- Working with NCDC Directorates, senior management and their teams to ensure that workforce requirements are identified, with support planned and delivered in a timely manner supported by a good understanding of relevant business plans
- Proactively facilitating and delivering improvements to services working collaboratively with Line Managers to achieve the desired business plan outcomes
- Providing advice and guidance to directorate heads and line managers on the development of job descriptions, appraisals
- Supporting the management of the HR interface with management, line managers and staff, providing advice and support on employee relations issues such as grievance, disciplinary, fair treatment and absence management procedures, ensuring problems are identified and resolved quickly.
- Ensuring the provision of a consistent professional service across all directorates underpinned by sound knowledge and principles of good practice
- Developing the management capabilities of line managers, coaching and equipping them with the knowledge and skills to handle staff management responsibilities in line with NCDC’s strategic direction
- Acting as an advocate for change for all NCDC employees by educating, informing and coaching staff and management where appropriate
- Developing and actively supporting the delivery of organisational development interventions that support business delivery
- Working with the Director of Administration to ensure that programmes are in place to develop people management skills of NCDC staff and identify skills gaps
- Working with the Director of Administration in implementing staff engagement practices, ensuring a proactive approach to addressing issues raised by staff
- Embedding staff health and wellbeing initiatives within NCDC
- Working in partnership with the Director of Administration and wider HR Team to develop interventions to address the leadership and management agenda within NCDC that promote cultural change and supports appropriate behaviours and values
- Supporting the management and improvement of the efficiency of Support Services and ensuring effective business management. This will include business planning and performance reporting, risk management, business continuity, change management, sustainable practices, HR processes for staff, and health and safety.
- Leading continuous organisational development and service improvement for NCDC.
- Supporting the delivery of a workforce development strategy for NCDC, including ensuring sufficient resourcing for the work of staff, staff development and succession planning.
- Providing operational advice and support to NCDC DG and others for effective programme delivery.
- Carrying out any other duties as may reasonably be required by the DG of NCDC.
- Problem solving challenges to the efficient and effective running of the work of NCDC
- Taking a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence, including development of long-range forecasts and maintenance of long-range organisational delivery plans.
- The job description and person specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Graduate / postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject or an equivalent level of relevant experience (Public Administration, Personnel Management, Human Resource Management, etc.)
- Additional qualification or relevant experience in project management, public sector administration, health or other relevant field or equivalent experience. Good knowledge of management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management.
- Experience in an organisation with complex stakeholder interactions
- Knowledge of the public health sector
- Experience of business planning development, monitoring and reporting on performance
- A commitment to social justice and the mission of the NCDC.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to nurture relationships, network and work in effective partnerships with complex stakeholders
- Innovative – ability to find solutions to challenging problems
- High level of organizational skills - able to organise, plan, prioritise and deal with conflicting demands and pressures in a faced paced environment.
- Capable of providing and receiving highly complex, sensitive and contentious information, and presenting information to a wide range of stakeholders
- Able to manage work and large complex projects across a number of functions and staff, including effective delegation.
- Able to negotiate on difficult and controversial issues including performance and change, and challenge/debate on issues of importance to NCDC
- Demonstrated leadership and vision – ability to manage and lead groups and major projects or initiatives. Lead and work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style, with ability to understand differing perspectives
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in excel, word, outlook, and access
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience of partnership working - linking with staff across varied organisational functions to address inter-dependencies and ensure alignment
- Experience of managing projects with multiple partners
- Experience of leading change management
- Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Building Capability for All, Managing a Quality Service
Starting monthly salary: NGN 1,665,377.60
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- Participate in all mandatory training as required
- Identify, discuss and action own professional performance and training / development needs with the CEO of NCDC through the appraisals process and/or attending internal / external training events.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Note: Please take note that the duration of this contract is up to 31 March
- Human Resources/Operations Manager Recruitment at Efficacy Construction Company
- HR Manager Job at Rovedana
- Human Resources Officer Job at Hubmart Stores Limited
- HR Officer/Manager
- Human Resources/Admin Officer Job at PeeCredit
- Human Resources Business Partner Job at Afordonz Consulting Limited
- Human Resources and Client Management Manager Job at Zercom Systems
- HR Intern Recruitment at Romanspage Global
- Human Resources Group Head Recruitment at Michael Stevens Consulting
- Human Resource Business Partner Job at Proten International