Backend Engineer Recruitment at Sterling Bank Plc
Sterling Bank Plc "Your one-customer bank" is a full service national commercial bank in Nigeria. In over 50 years of operations, Sterling Bank (formerly NAL Bank) has evolved from the nation’s pre-eminent investment banking institution to a fully-fledged commercial bank; and completed a merger with 4 other banks - Indo-Nigeria Merchant Bank, Magnum Trust Bank, NBM Bank and Trust Bank of Africa - as part of the 2006 consolidation of the Nigerian banking industry.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Backend Engineer
Job Location: Lagos
- We’re hiring talented, creative problem-solvers to help us build the bank of the future. Join us if you're:
- Interested in building products used by tens of thousands of customers and shipping code at a rapid pace.
- An experienced Backend Engineer that is passionate about building scalable and reliable web platforms.
- We work in project-based sprints in small, interdisciplinary teams. We have big dreams. There are many interesting challenges ahead, and we're happy for people to build new skills, specialise or move between teams. As an engineer here you'd be able to work directly with anyone across the company.
About this Role
What will you be doing as our Backend Engineer?
- You'll be working as part of a cross disciplinary group to clearly understand user needs, challenging assumptions, iterating quickly to learn fast, using data and running experiments to evaluate solutions to develop secure, robust, and maintainable solutions at pace.
- Define and deliver resilient software that meets and exceeds the expectations of your team, managers, and product stakeholders.
- Develop readable, testable, and maintainable code to spec.
- Commitment to continued technical and professional growth.
- Interfacing with stakeholders to understand their business, goals, and visions for products supported by the product organisation.
- Lending your knowledge and positive approach to overall team development.
Frameworks, and technologies we use include but are not limited to:
- NodeJs + TypeScript
- Kubernetes + Helm
- Elastic Search + Kibana + FluentD
- Github + CircleCI
You should apply if:
- You love building products in cross disciplinary teams using an iterative approach, driven by customer feedback and data insight.
- You deeply care about providing a great user experience to our users, and understand the impact that technology can have on this.
- You’re interested in building distributed systems and tackling the fun challenges and complexity that comes with that.
- You understand the importance of prioritisation in your work to ensure a good balance between development velocity and code quality.
- You’re comfortable working with in a team that deals with ambiguity every day, not afraid to take the lead on technical and strategic decision-making.
- You are a keen learner and love sharing your knowledge with others.
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you have:
- At least 2 years of professional experience as a Software Engineer, writing code for web applications
- Familiarity with SQL or NoSQL databases like Postgres or MongoDB.
- Familiarity with key-value databases like Redis or memcached.
- Exposure to CI/CD pipelines and tools.
- Experience writing unit and integration tests.
- Good knowledge of Docker, container orchestration and microservices architecture
- Experience working with Kubernetes clusters and deploying applications
- Exposure to Agile methodologies.
- Experience working remotely as an effective member of a team.
- Fun collaborating, problem-solving, and being part of a team environment.
- A vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English, verbal and written).
- The ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and limited supervision.
- The ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Our main office is in Marina Lagos, though you have the opportunity to work remotely twice a week.
What the hiring process looks like... typically:
- A take-home technical test which usually lasts for a week.
- An on-site interview (varies by role and seniority, but we may invite you to a technical interview, product/design-centric session, and possibly an engineering leadership interview).
- A short meeting with our head of engineering.
You'll be given an offer if you can pass these three stages.
- We understand that everyone's situation is different, that you may be able to dedicate more or less time to this process, or have other restrictions.
- If any stage of our process is challenging for you and you'd like us to offer an alternative *please* let us know. We're committed to finding the right people, and don't want anyone to be excluded because of circumstances.
What can you expect from us? We offer good people, inspiring work and the opportunity to help build great products as well as the following benefits:
- To ensure that we recognise and reward when your responsibilities increase, we review salaries every 6 months.
- Get the work-tool of your choice plus accessories to improve your workflow.
Work From Home:
- Get things done-from home or an office. We encourage everyone to work from home twice a week to keep us remote-friendly.
- 20 days paid holiday in a year-we encourage you to use them up, too! An additional month of unpaid work is also on the table!
- In building together, we're thinking about your future, too. We also care about your statutory rights.
- Regular internal knowledge sharing sessions on dedicated days. We encourage teams or individuals to share fascinating stuff.
- Online and offline access to books and subscriptions about startups, programming, design, finance and more.
Learning and Development:
- Access to local and international trainings to improve your skills.
- Socials every month including go-karting, board game nights, dinners, samba, drumming and movie nights. There’s no pressure to attend. Retreats are a thing, too.
- Private health insurance and paid sick leave (for both your physical and mental health).
Maternity And Paternity Leave:
- Babies are like products. We don't want you to miss the biggest launch of your life.
- Thrice a week. In addition, there's fresh fruits, biscuits, tea/coffee and soft drinks in the office-you're in for a treat!
- We care about your wellbeing-physical and mental. While you're building products, you might as well as well build your body and mind
- We understand that everyone's situation is different, that you may be able to dedicate more or less time to our hiring process, or have other restrictions
- If any of our process is challenging for you and you'd like us to offer alternative or special arrangements, please let us know. We're committed to finding the right people, and don't want anyone to be excluded because of their circumstances.
- Questions about this role? Head over to our careers page to read our FAQs or send an e-mail to: email@example.com
- Video Motion Graphics Designer Job at Viicsoft Solutions
- Mobile Application Developer Job at Uneleap
- Backend Developer Job at Karisfined Edge Solutions
- Motion Graphics Designer / Animator
- Software Developer (.NET) Job at Growth in Value Alliance
- Senior DeVops Engineer Job at Ascentech Services Limited
- Frontend Developer Job at Reliance HMO
- Backend Developer Job at Reliance HMO
- Graphics Designer Job at Michelle and Anthony Consulting Limited
- Full Stack Engineer Job at IBIC Investment Holdings