British High Commission Recruitment for Health & Safety / Compliance Officer
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Health & Safety/Compliance Officer (17/17 LOS)
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 6 months
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Main Purpose of Job:
- Reporting directly to the Head of Corporate Services and the candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing health and safety procedures
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure Post meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and welfare at work, including recommended mandatory training and reporting.
- Ensure that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented.
- Provide regular reports to Post Health and Safety Committee on relevant health and safety activities.
- Liaise with suppliers for procurement of health and safety resources
- Any other duties which may be required by management from time to time.
- Assist wider Corporate Services team with Audit follow up on health and safety matters. Provide compliance support across the core streams in Corporate Services. Working with Head of Corporate Services to ensure ideal scores on compliance indicators.
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported, safety inspections, risk assessments and lone working procedures are managed and employees are aware of their responsibilities.
- Co-ordinate the development of health & safety policies, systems of work and procedures.
- Establish a full programme of documented health & safety inspections, audits and checks.
- Establish a structured programme of health & safety training throughout Post.
- Act as Secretary for Post Health & Safety Committee meetings and ensure all agreed action points are completed within deadlines.
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work and communicate relevant changes to stakeholders.
Essential Qualifications and experience
- The successful candidate should have a proven background of successfully generating, monitoring and achieving health & safety objectives.
- Health and Safety qualification
- 3 years relevant experience.
- Experience in a building service /construction / Facilities Management environment
- Work without close supervision, but a good team player
- Experience or knowledge of environmental management systems
- Experience of administrative work
- He/she should be an excellent communicator with great influencing skills able to build exceptional working relationships across all levels, confident in challenging unacceptable Health & Safety behaviour.
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Safety, Health and Environmental Business administration certificate
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Building Capability for All, Delivering at Pace
Starting Monthly Salary: N 381,775.
12th September, 2017.
1st October, 2017.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Deputy High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to: Obtain the relevant permit; Pay the fees for the permit; Make arrangements to relocate; Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Safety & Fire Officer
- Credit Control and Risk Manager
- Risk and Compliance Officer at Old Mutual Nigeria
- FPSO HSE Superintendent
- HSE Superintendent at Amaiden Energy Nigeria Limited
- Risk & Compliance Officer at PricewaterhouseCooper
- HSE Officer
- Firefighting Supervisor
- Head, Health, Safety & Environment (HSE)