Country Director at Girl Effect
Girl Effect, is an organisation working to break the cycle of inter-generational poverty. We do this by investing in programmes for girls, connecting girls to each other to amplify their voices, and brokering access to the critical assets girls need. We drive behaviour change by harnessing media in innovative ways and building social networks to shift girls perceptions of themselves and how others value them.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Country Director
Job Location: Nigeria
About the Role
- We are looking for a dynamic, inspirational leader with a deep knowledge of Nigeria, its complexities, and its unique mix of media, innovation, technology and creative cultures.
- As a Country Director, you will oversee a significant acceleration of our current activities as we look to build on these, as well as implement new strategies that will have a significant national-level impact on the lives of Nigeria’s girls and the social norms that hold them back.
- Nigeria is one of our top geographical priorities for the next three years. Nigeria has 15 million girls who face significant vulnerabilities and a media culture and technology infrastructure that make Girl Effect’s unique programme model viable.
- As a result, to be successful in this role, you will need a deep knowledge of media and digital communications, as well as a nose for finding and securing partnerships and funding that enable us to scale our products and increase our impact.
The Director is the most senior role within Girl Effect Nigeria and is ultimately accountable for all aspects of Girl Effect’s strategy, management and performance.
- You will be responsible for setting out and executing GE Nigeria’s strategy, in line with our global objectives. This means defining a long-term ambition for the business, producing an annual strategy at the beginning of each financial year and drawing up a plan for how this strategy will be delivered (including decision points and a media laydown).
- Working with product leads in London, you will be accountable for the allocation of resources to deliver this strategy, setting a budget and reviewing it every quarter, and also defining and populating an org structure for the team.
- In addition to leading on GE Nigeria’s strategy, you will also contribute to global strategic debates and provide strategic guidance to other GE teams as required.
- You will be responsible for the effective delivery of programmes in line with the strategy, within the agreed budget.
- This includes developing a regular business cadence (e.g. monthly/quarterly reports and meetings) to track progress and spend, as well as best-in-class systems, processes and teams to deliver our programmes.
- Line management of four direct reports, as well as play a driving force in enhancing our organisational culture and acting as a role model for the team.
- Working closely with the Product Leads for Girls Connect, TEGA and Springster (all based in London) to ensure the individual products receive the staff support in country to grow and thrive, as well as how they integrate and support each other.
- In collaboration with the Finance team in London, you will ensure sound fiscal management of the country office and compliance with all internal financial policies, local laws and reporting requirements.
- This role will also be responsible for the safety and security of staff, visitors and partners, and will work with the Operations team to ensure this. Working with the Safeguarding Advisor, you will need to ensure all programs and products do everything they can to keep girls safe, protect their privacy and follow local and international laws and standards for girl safety.
- Strong relationship management with current and future partners in both the development and commercial sector is also key to this role as you will serve as the chief fund mobilisation officer in Nigeria. As a result, you will be expected to work closely with the London Fund Mobilisation and Partnership teams to identify, engage and cultivate support, as well as solicit and secure gifts and grants that support GEN’s products and programs.
- You will also be involved in marketing communications and be accountable for all press, stakeholder and influencer activity in Nigeria, and may also be required to represent Girl Effect on a global stage.
- You will need to work closely with the senior team in Abuja, as well as with local partners in Nigeria that help us deliver our work. Key relationships in London include the Senior Director/Portfolio Integration, to whom the position reports; The Product Leads for Girls Connect, Springster and TEGA; the Senior Director/People and Director/Finance in London; The Senior Director of Partnerships and Strategy; and the Senior Director of Fund Mobilization.
- Externally, you will need to develop relationships with current and potential funders, including commercial partners in the media and tech sectors, bilateral donors, large NGOs, private foundations, Multinational CSR leaders and key government officials and regulators.
Skills and Experience
- Strong leadership experience and the ability to motivate and inspire a team and help them move through strategic changes.
- Deep expertise in digital media and technology, with proven experience of, growing and managing digital brands and products.
- A strong business and entrepreneurial background, with experience in building partnerships and securing funding.
- Exceptionally strong communicator, engaging at all levels in person and in writing
- A deep network in Nigeria - especially in the media and digital technology space.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure, especially in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds;
- Able to influence and communicate, both up and down the line, with ability to inspire others to work towards the same goal;
- Can translate strategy into specific priorities, objectives, and action plans;
- Can build successful relationships to advance business goals and manage the needs of diverse stakeholders;
- Embraces change and seeks innovation - spots barriers and resistance to change and looks for solutions
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude.
- A commitment to realising the potential of girls, and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
- ECOWAS Ongoing Recruitment, july 2019
- Catholic Relief Services Massive Recruitment, July 2019
- Sales & Visa Counselling (SVC)
- Community Mobilizer Job at Plan International
- Community Mobilizer Job at Plan International
- Regional Business Manager Job at Greenlight Planet
- Community Mobilization Officer Job at Save the Children
- Latest Recruitment at the British High Commission, April 2019
- Livelihoods and Food Security Officer Recruitment at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Community Mobilization Officer Job at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)