Education Officer Job at The International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Education Officer
Requisition ID: req5656
Job Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Scope of Work
- The IRC Nigeria is currently expanding its education portfolio in the northeast of the country in line with its five-year Strategic Action Plan (SAP). A priority outcome for the country program is that girls and boys enroll in and attend safe, functioning, responsive education services. The IRC aims to both rebuild, reequip, and staff damaged school infrastructure and enhance the quality of education through curriculum improvements in formal and non-formal institutions, with a particular focus on social and emotional learning.
- The IRC intend to implement a twenty month EiE project Improving Access to Education for Nigerian Children Affected by the crisis that aims to deliver an effective response to the basic needs of vulnerable people impacted by the crisis in northeast Nigeria. The EiE project will reach 20,000 children in Borno and Yobe states with quality formal and non-formal education services, including literacy, numeracy, and social-emotional skills.
- The Education Officer will be responsible for the overall management of EiE education activities in either Borno or Yobe state. S/he will be responsible for providing technical leadership for all the education activities, including leading and coordinating the non-formal education program and systems support activities at the national and state level. The position requires experience with teacher training policy and practice, designing programs for data collection and analysis, and personnel management. The position reports to the Program Manager.
- Oversee the implementation of all EiE education activities in Borno State or Yobe state in both formal and non- formal schools.
- Oversee training, coaching and on-going support of teachers, tutors and learning facilitators in order to improve instructional practices in literacy, numeracy and social and emotional skills.
- Ensure technical coordination of state-level activities related to teacher education and curriculum development, and obtain support from directorates and local government authorities as needed
Oversight of teacher education interventions:
- Oversee the selection of learning facilitators and tutors for the intervention and contribute to tools for selection such as assessment tools.
- Oversee the initial training of learning facilitators, as well as their continuous professional development.
- Monitor progress towards the objectives and intended outputs pertaining to teacher education using routine data, spot checks, observation, and other methodologies.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports on education activities to supervisor, senior management, project partners and donors.
- Under the guidance of the Education Coordinator, provide technical supervision and guidance to Education Officers and implementing partners as required.
- Promote the quality of teacher education activities by setting up quality assurance mechanisms and checks in collaboration with other staff.
- Lead integrated state and LGEA, SUBEB, and SBMC technical working groups and steering committees pertaining to teacher education, curriculum and assessment.
- Work closely with consultants as needed to ensure effective implementation and quality content.
- Coordinate with colleges of education and NCCE for the contextualization and validation of curriculum.
- Represent the project in major state meetings and events as appropriate
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders including government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, and local
HR & Team Management:
- Provide supportive supervision to non-formal learning facilitators and local partners
- Other: Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Program Manager. Indirect reporting line to Senior Consortium Coordinator. Position directly supervises: None
- Other internal and/or external contacts: grants unit; finance, HR and supply chain departments
- University degree in Education; advanced degree preferred.
- At least three years of relevant professional experience with an international or civil society organization, including direct implementation of education programming
- At least five years of experience related to teacher professional development.
- Experience working with displaced or otherwise marginalized communities required
- Strong verbal communication skills and effective in representation and liaison with external actors
- Excellent spoken and technical writing ability in English, including report writing
- Good computer skills in programs including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to work under pressure in challenging working and living conditions
- Willingness to travel extensively in northeast Nigeria, including to remote and/or insecure locations.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
- Professional Music Teacher Recruitment at Chrysanthemum Home School
- KG & Nursery Teacher and English Teacher Job at Vincintore Limited
- Chemistry Teacher Job at Mayflower Private School
- Nursery and Primary Teacher Recruitment at Oasis Academy
- Physics Teacher Job at RiseUp Schools and Colleges
- Geography Teacher Job at RiseUp Schools and Colleges
- Home Economics/Food & Nutrition Teacher Recruitment at a reputable school
- Qualified Teacher Job at a reputable school
- Teacher Recruitment at a reputable school
- IELTS/TOEFL Private Tutor Recruitment at Givenbiz academy