Health & Safety/Compliance Officer at The British High Commission
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Position: Health & Safety/Compliance Officer
Ref Id: 16/18 LOS
Job Location: Lagos
Start Date: 1 November 2018
Type of Position: Permanent
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Estates
Grade: A2 (L)
Main Purpose of Job
- Reporting directly to the Estates Manager and the candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing health and safety procedures
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure Post meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and welfare at work, including recommended mandatory training and reporting.
- Ensure that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented.
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported, safety inspections, risk assessments and lone working procedures are managed and employees are aware of their responsibilities.
- Co-ordinate the development of health & safety policies, systems of work and procedures.
- Establish a full programme of documented health & safety inspections, audits and checks.
- Establish a structured programme of health & safety training throughout Post.
- Act as Secretary for Post Health & Safety Committee meetings and ensure all agreed action points are completed within deadlines.
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work and communicate relevant changes to stakeholders.
- Provide regular reports to Post Health and Safety Committee on relevant health and safety activities.
- Liaise with Estates Manger and Procurement Officer for procurement of health and safety resources.
- Assist wider Corporate Services team with Audit follow up on health and safety matters. Provide compliance support across the core streams in Corporate Services. Working with Head of Corporate Services, Estates Manager and Technical Works Supervisor to ensure ideal scores on compliance indicators (PCA).
- Any other duties which may be required by management from time to time.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Health and Safety qualification
- 3 years relevant experience
- IOSH and/or NEBOSH (or similar )qualification with proof of certificate
- Experience in a building service, hospitality or Facilities Management environment
- Valid Nigerian driver’s license
- Work without close supervision, but a good team player
- Experience or knowledge of environmental management systems
- Experience of administrative work
- He/she should have a proven background successfully generating, monitoring and achieving health & safety objectives.
- He/she should be an excellent communicator with great influencing skills able to build exceptional working relationships across all levels, confident in challenging unacceptable Health & Safety behaviour.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Relevant Safety, Health and Environmental Business administration certificate
- Experience with managing H&S in building construction sites.
- Making Effective Decisions,
- Collaborating and Partnering,
- Building Capability for All,
- Delivering at Pace
Starting monthly salary - N438,934
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Deputy High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Deputy High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
- QHSE Coordinator Job at a reputable company
- Medical Doctor
- Risk and Assurance Officer Job at Heirs Holdings Limited
- Risk Advisor (Insurance Marketer) Job at Lasaco Assurance Plc
- Compliance Officer Job at Old Mutual Nigeria
- Risk/Credit Advisor Recruitment at Paraquick
- HSE Technician (M/F) Job at SPIE Oil & Gas
- Total Secure Nigeria Limited Recruitment for a Document Control and Compliance Officer (Telecom)
- HSE Assistant Job at CGC Nigeria Limited (CGC)
- Health, Environment, Safety and Security Manager Job at CGC Nigeria Limited (CGC)