Junior Administrative Officer Job at The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit
The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ's portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Junior Administrative Officer
Vacancy No: 011
Job Location: Abuja
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, SEDIN-NICOP
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe - from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector, and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974.
- From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
- The "Pro-poor Growth and Promotion of Employment in Nigeria” Program – SEDIN responds to the high un- and underemployment in Nigeria. Acknowledging the central role of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in employment creation, SEDIN aims at improving the employment and income situation of MSMEs by improving the business enabling environment, increasing access to financial and business services, enhancing entrepreneurial and management skills, and strengthening MSME in selected value chains (currently cassava, rice, potatoes and low-cost construction).
- With the EU-co-financed Nigeria Competitiveness Project (NICOP) additional value chains have been integrated into the SEDIN programme (tomato, chilli, ginger, leather and textiles).
- Improving access to financial services, particularly loans and investment, is an important part of the integrated value chain promotion approach of NICOP together with the enhancement of the business enabling environment.
The admin officer is responsible for:
- Ensuring that the secretariat runs smoothly
- Ensuring good communication and flow of information within the project and GIZ office
- Filing documents in reference files or in DMS in line with GIZ filing rules
- Assisting team leader
- Assisting the advisors in their administrative tasks (e.g., procuring tickets, organizing events)
Secretariat work and services:
The admin officer performs the following tasks:
- Organizes and coordinates team leader’s schedules
- Reminds, updates, and notifies the team leader of daily appointments
- Answers, reviews, forwards and/or takes calls
- Manages incoming and outgoing correspondence (post, fax, email) and prioritises and organizes it
- Replies to and looks for correspondence(replies)
- Prepares and organizes information materials for meetings
- Help prepare visitor programmes, draws up travel schedules, organizes transport of visitors, and makes hotels and ticket reservations
- Participates in internal and external team meetings, workshops and assists in documenting these e.g., by writing minutes
- Photocopies and scans documents as needed
- Supports in planning and organising of office events
- Regularly draws up a list of forthcoming meetings and events
Administration and knowledge management:
The admin officer will:
- Creates and address file with important contact addresses and maintains this
- Helps create and maintain a filing system for the office or project, treats information confidentially, specifically in the areas of personnel and finance
- Updates the filing system daily with incoming and outgoing correspondence
Communication and website management:
The admin officer will:
- Helps research, create, and collate content for project website
- Ensure project presentation at communication brainstorming sessions and meetings
- Ensures accuracy of information disseminated in materials and on websites
- Ensures that visibility and communication requirements are in line with regulations
- Other internal and external communication actions performed as required
Facilities, Logistics and Equipment Management:
The admin officer is:
- Ensures that project equipment are in working order and furniture are in good condition for use.
- Maintains a schedule for the routine maintenance of equipment and furnishings
- Liaises with IT and project facilities manager for more advanced repairs and maintenance.
- Maintains an inventory of project equipment and furniture.
- Reports damage/defects in office furnishings and equipment to project management and organizes and follow up on maintenance and repair
- Maintains a schedule for movement and maintenance of project vehicles
- Ensures project management approval for use of project vehicles
- Maintains schedule for project drivers.
- Ensures adequate transportation for colleagues.
Project Management Tasks:
The admin office will:
- Coordinates relevant activities at local level in consultation with the pillar head at NICOP as well as in cooperation with the partners, to ensure efficient implementation and organisation of the project
- Prepares input for project/programme reports and draws up documents in accordance with project standards on communication and presentation
- Handles contract management where needed including, but not limited to, offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting
The admin officer will:
- Ensures that visitors (staff, counterparts, project staff or consultants) are comfortable
- Organizes and coordinates project support staff and works well with them
Other Duties / Additional tasks:
The admin officer will
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management, e.g., assistance in accounting and procurement if qualifications allow.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- B.Sc or HND in Secretarial Studies, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other similar related studies.
- At least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position
- Demonstrated experience with GIZ and European Union programmes
- Specific experience on account and finance support
- Confirmed practice on procurement processes
Other knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g., MS Office).
- Good management and organisational skills.
- Customer and service-oriented attitude.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the task to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Have passion for and excellent understanding of the West African, especially Nigerian, entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English. Additional Nigerian languages would be added advantage.
- Excellent team spirit and networking capacity.
- Highly motivated to work in a multicultural environment.
- Strong organizational competence.
- Proactive, independent, and flexible working style.
- Willingness to travel to project sites in Nigeria.
- Strong awareness and passion on gender and other inclusivity considerations.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 3
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using the Job Position and Vacancy No. as the subject of the email.
- Please include Vacancy No. 011 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Admin Officer Job at JustHR
- Admin and HR Manager Job at HumAngle Media Limited
- Office Manager Job at Macro Acres Limited
- Trade Operations Officer Job at Ecobank Transnational Incorporated (ETI)
- Head, Human Asset Mgt & Administration Job at Dangote Group
- Operations Officer (Male Warehouse and Female Marketing Officer) Job at Sales Force Consulting
- Hotel Operations Manager Job at Efezi Southsea Nigeria Limited
- Accountant / Admin Officer Job at Efezi Southsea Nigeria Limited
- PA to MD, Internal Auditor & Financial Controller Job at Ibis Hotel
- Front Desk Officer Job at Kegoz Systems Limited