Protection Officer Job at Salient Humanitarian Organization
Salient Humanitarian Organization (SHO) is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Protection Officer (for NHF Project)
Job Location: (Maiduguri base) North East Nigeria
Starting date: September, 2020
Duration of contract: 6 Months (Extendable)
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
General context of the Job/Project
- This position falls under the direct management of SALIENT's FSS Project coordinator
- The Protection Officer will Support SHO, national institutions & vulnerability assessment to respond adequately to protection issues and case management like GBV, related to the wet feeding Programme and basic health services to refugees.
- Under the supervision of the FSS Project coordinator, the Protection Officer is responsible for the day-to-day activities of the protection component of the project, including conducting data collection, meetings and mobilizing key project stakeholders, developing protection-related materials for community trainings and facilitate trainings, among others.
- He/she will organize focus groups to support him/her in the accomplishment of her daily task and duties.
- He/She will be accountable for the smooth operation of the protection component of the project, meeting project timelines and targets, in addition to internal capacity building trainings.
- He/ she will be responsible of ensuring protection mainstream standards among the isolation centre services and to monitor the global protection risks in order to provide mitigation solutions.
- He /she will be in charge for referrals of refugees to the appropriate protection partner(s), but not only, and ensure that this mechanism remain efficient and functional after SALIENT FSS responsibility.
- Carry out daily monitoring visits, focus group discussions, participatory assessments, key informant interviews in accordance with SALIENT's information collection and management plans and standards, ensuring appropriate treatment of sensitive information;
- Ensure that mainstream protection is implemented by all agencies and in the whole camp.
- Assess protection issues captured or identified during daily activities and make appropriate referrals for services to humanitarian or other actors as per the referral pathway or best practices;
- Identify cases in need of urgent response and directly follow-up/accompany affected individuals to services providers when needed to ensure access to services;
- Work with supervisor to create weekly work-plans and prioritization of tasks;
- Ensure targets are met under the approved work plans
- Ensure proper documentation and secure storage of any protection data collected (hard and soft copies);
- Complete daily, weekly and monthly reporting on findings.
- Foster and maintain excellent working relationships with all stakeholders, and participate in daily coordination with humanitarian and all other local and international actors;
- Provide trainings and on-job coaching to FSS team and other agencies personnel as required as well as provide awareness sessions and ad hoc training sessions for camp leaders and community.
- Provide technical and programmatic support to the community mobilizers in the field on a day to day basis
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership to community-based mechanisms
- Support FSS and partners workers in identification and ensuring that reporting is in line with SALIENT, Sector and partners harmonized guidelines.
- Work with community-based structures to identify protection problems that cannot be resolved at community level or by existing services and assist community to come to solutions
- Liaise closely with protection actors in the field and other humanitarian partners to ensure an understanding of the overall issues; an understanding that shall be used to guide weekly work plans
- Take a leading role in setting up the community center- liaising with the community
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Guidance and Counseling or relevant fields.
- Minimum of two years' experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and distribution programming experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Experience in protection interventions in line with vulnerable or IDP operation.
- Experience of working with Non-Governmental organizations.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Ability to communicate in English, write reports in English and consolidate the reports prepared by protection monitoring assistants into formal English documentation
- Ability to communicate in Hausa. Other Nigerian languages is a must.
- Good organizational and management skills.
- Willingness and ability to work full time in the field directly with communities (camp setting and communities in Ngala and Mobbar areas).
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Nigerian displacement context.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Proven professional experience working with NGO at a relevant position e.g. Protection Monitor, Protection Assistant, Field and Community worker.
- Experience working for NGOs and/ or in Camp setting is a must.
- Experience Working in the Northeast Nigeria is a Must
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Written and spoken fluency in English, Hausa or Kanuri a must; additional fluency in other local languages preferred
- Ability and Willingness to follow instructions.
- SHO reserve the right to close the application before deadline, if the required number of candidates is attained.
- Candidates will be responsible for his/her own travel, accommodation and feeding during the recruitment process;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please submit their Application (Letter of motivation and CV in a single file) via E-mail to: email@example.com indicating the "Job position" as the subject of the e-mail.
Salient Humanitarian Organization,
Behind NTA Quarters, Off Damboa Road,
Old GRA, Maiduguri,
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than five pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- SHO considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- Please clearly indicate the "Job position" on the envelope.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- CVs will be reviewed on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, SHO will only inform shortlisted candidates for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about SHO, please consult: www.salientho.org
- Current Job Vacancies at Home Technologies
- Project Associate Job at Hempawa Consult
- Project Officer Job at Polaris Digitech Limited
- Project Manager Job at Cooperazione Internazionale
- Employment Opportunities at Plan International
- Project Manager Job at Ralds and Agate Limited
- Project Assistant Job at Syngenta Nigeria
- Graduate M & E Intern Recruitment at Helen Keller International
- Operations Manager Job at Domeo Resources International
- Project Development Officer Job at ACTED