Resident Manager, Hospitality and Travel Services
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Resident Manager, Hospitality and Travel Services
Job Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- The position requires a dynamic and energetic individual who leads by example. A manager who can balance the official needs of the Institutes (workshops, conferences and visitors) with those of the multi-cultural resident community (staff with their families) and national staff while marketing its service to fellow organizations to maintain a zero budget.
- Ideally with a strong food and beverage background, the successful individual would be looking for a challenge a little different than the mainstream hotel and hospitality industry.
- A demanding and challenging task that can be incredibly rewarding for the right candidate.
- There would be an initial period of training and integration with the current manger prior to taking full responsibility for the operation.
This position reports to the Deputy Director General-Corporate Services. The tasks are as follows:
- Oversee Travel Services.
- Continue to enhance revenue generation through effective use of Hospitality and Travel Service facilities.
- Manage I-House, Ikeja Guest House, Abuja Guest House, Sports centre, all to international standards.
- Manage bookings and the use of the IITA Ibadan Conference Centre.
- Oversee canteen operations for 1500 national staff.
- Ensure effective cost recovery of all operations, and meet the set zero budget targets.
- Provide continuous staff training and good customer care.
- Lead, recruit, develop and retain staff to deliver services in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Plan and manage new acquisitions, maintenance and upgrade of facilities of all IITA guest houses as required.
- Initiate energy saving methods.
- Ensure delivery of effective client focused services.
- Give professional support to leisure activities on the Ibadan compound and organize social events to enhance the quality of social life on IITA campus.
- Develop and market the hospitality operation of the new environmental educational campsite.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by management.
- The candidate should have a post graduate college diploma or degree in Hospitality, Hotel Management or related field. Any related advanced degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years proven experience in the hospitality business
- Understanding of all hotel management best practices and relevant laws and guidelines.
- Knowledge of international travel regulations, customs and currencies.
- Solid understanding of hospitality procedure and best practices.
- Excellent analytical mind with strong business acumen.
- Ability to balance customer and business priorities.
- Knowledge of quality standards (e.g. ISO).
- Demonstrable aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Reliable with ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Outstanding communication (oral and written) and good negotiation skills.
- Excellent hands-on experience in customer service or sales management skills.
- Good interpersonal, excellent leadership, people management and organizational skills.
- Numeracy and logistical planning skills. Great attention to details.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural environment.
- Work experience in the hospitality and travel business in Africa is a plus.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and relevant software (e-g. ERP); knowledge of hotel management software (PMS) is an advantage.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of other languages is a plus.
- The contract will be for an initial period of three years with possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars and housing (depending on the family situation and availability) on its Ibadan Campus.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should send a covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Click here for more information (PDF)