Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Security Guard
Job Location: Potiskum, Yobe
Position Status: Full-time; Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Security Guard works to assist, provide, protection and support to the activities of Mercy Corps in all the working areas. The Security Guard will adhere to all Mercy Corps safety rules and follow the guidelines to provide security and support as it’s required by the Mercy Corps.
Essential Job Functions
- To assure the security and safety of personnel and property at the Mercy Corps guesthouse or office to which assigned by the immediate supervisor, during all of the hours of the working shift.
- To ensure that unauthorized personnel are not permitted to enter Mercy Corps building or premises.
- In the event that no Mercy Corps personnel are present, to ensure that the house, office and premises remain secure against theft or damage and that persons who are not authorized do not enter the premises and /or remove any items.
- In the event of security problems, to assist fully in the security of the premises, office and house for the safety of property and personnel and if necessary to assist in the evacuation of personnel and property if directed by the immediate supervisor.
- To prevent unauthorized removal of property or belongings of Mercy Corps (or Mercy Corps personnel) from the house, office, and premises or from vehicles parked outside the premises.
- Where necessary and requested by Mercy Corps personnel, assist in removing persons, non-violently from the premises.
- To ensure that during the working shift, the watchmen remain able to check the gate and premises fence areas to ensure that unauthorized persons do not enter the premises.
- To ensure that at all time the gates for persons and vehicles remain closed and bolted, except when allowing permitted persons or vehicles to enter the premises and that the gates are then immediately closed and bolted.
- To assist in the general operation of the house and office in such items as turning on the water pump, assisting in loading and unloading vehicles, assisting in general maintenance, assisting in running the generator and maintaining it etc.
- Provide advice to international staff on local costs, local practices, courtesies, customs and regulatory requirements.
- Strictly follow the watchmen duty schedule each month.
- To at all times respect and implement the principles, directions and security requirements of Mercy Corps.
- Represent Mercy Corps in a professional manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Operations Officer
- Works Directly With: All program and operations teams
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum qualification of Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE, WASSCE, NECO, etc)
- Experience working with NGO organizations preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel
- Adaptability to unanticipated circumstances,
- Must respect and adhere to all safety rules.
- Basic understanding of English and fluency in all local languages is required.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Senior Security Officer Job at ACTED
- Security Control Room Operator Job at Covantage Business Process Outsourcing Limited
- Safety and Security Officer Job at Center for Civilians in Conflict's (CIVIC)
- Security Personnel Recruitment at First Rhasonel Limited
- Security Officer Job at Frigoglass Nigeria
- Arksego Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Security Officer
- Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development Massive Recruitment 2019
- Security Operations Specialist at Egbin Power Plc
- Security Officer
- Meristem Securities Limited Analyst Trainee Program 2019