Wash Project Assistant Job at Terre des hommes
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is a child relief Non-Governmental Organization with a presence in over 30 countries of the world and more than 90 projects. Our goal is to make a significant and lasting difference to the lives of children in need.
We support children in areas of Child and Maternal health, protection, Water and sanitation and Migration. Our humanitarian services sector aid children in crisis situations across the world.
Tdh in Nigeria is currently implementaing projects in Health and Wash sectors and is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Wash Project Assistant
Job Location: Borno
- The Wash Project Assistant is providing support for both hardware and software project components and ensure the project is implemented in line with the proposal and project plan.
- The WASH Project Assistant guarantees and manages the daily decisions and actions to be taken within their intervention domain, in coordination with the sector coordinator or the delegation manager.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Lead and gather data during needs assessment, baseline studies, and periodic studies, and help feed back findings to stakeholders.
- Plan activities in coordination with field staff to reduce WASH-related risks.
- Collect data from field activities and prepare regular reports on global WASH activities
Project planning and implementation:
- Lead and carry out assessment to identify context based appropriate WASH activities for the community people in consultation with relevant partners and authorities
- Ensure implementation of the activities in line with relevant national/international standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Manage the partners and contractors.
- Take account of gender, protection, the environment, and other important cross cutting concerns in project design, implementation, and reporting; carry out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, children, and people with disabilities.
- Be responsible for the implementation of the action plans and budget monitoring.
- Lead on developing detailed activity planning and implementing the WASH activities both technical and Hygiene promotion.
- Assist on design to new project and proposal development
- Ensure that action is taken to mitigate priority WASH related risks.
- Supervise the teams member by assigning them activities according the priority and support them in order to reach to project objectives.
- Direct the implementation and observance of the terms of any financing agreement
- Compile all the essential technical documents for the projects on a digital medium to be shared with line manager.
- Ensure the project is reaching the indicators
- Adapt the Tdh tools in WASH and capitalize on experiences by sharing the tools developed in the field with the line manager. (including BOQ and hygiene promotion validation)
- Train his/her team in the technical and methodological aspects.
- Use project resources effectively and with care.
- Develop training on WASH technical and methodological aspects and implement them with the team
- Organize day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities in consultation with the line manager
- Facilitate to mobilize local resources and do maximum use of them.
- Be responsible for his/her own continuing training to develop his/her skills
- Participate at the project leader's request in radio and TV broadcasts, documentary films and press articles.
- Identify any major discrepancy/delay that may arise in project implementation and report immediately to line manager.
- Keep proper records of expenditures and report on these to the line manager
- Ensure proper record keeping of all activities and prepare monthly/quarterly activity report in time.
- Write the SITREP
- Periodically collect data and regularly update individual monitoring files of the Project’s beneficiaries.
- Monitor safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services.
- Monitor appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Collaborate in organizing surveys with his/her supervisor and actively participate in conducting them, going through them and analyzing them.
- Review of the budget with the line manager, in order to direct future spending or change of expenses forecasted.
Personal and Team management:
- Develop common priority actions leading to solutions to the identified problems.
- Help his/her line manager in setting up the activities schedule every week.
- Provide professional guidance for team members
- Identify the problems associated with the delivery of the project and inform the HR, logistics, beneficiaries.
- Attend and take part in the meetings (including clusters) necessary for passing on information for the smooth running of activities.
Networking / external coordination:
- Represent Tdh on local exercises in his/her geographic area of responsibility.
- Always keep in close contact with respective local government
- Language Skills: Fluent in local languages and in English, (speaking/reading/writing).
- Computer skills: Good knowledge in Microsoft Office Pack (Excel and Word and computer sciences).
- Other: Knowledge of humanitarian actors/Good management and pedagogical skills; Knowledge on Mobile Data collection tools (ODK)
- Education Degree: Diploma on Wash, Civil Engineering / or Environmental Health
- Work experience: Previous relevant experience in a WASH function and preferably in an NGO
- Knowledge & skills: Good analytical and writing skills; Good capacity in communication mobilization and knowledge of participatory approaches; Proven success in implementing Behaviour Change activities; A proven record of effective project and people management
- Other knowledge: Acquaintance with NGO' rules, procedures and regulations
- Work in relief sector
- Honest and trustworthy
- Reliable, rigorous and well organized
- Motivated and dedicated to his/her job
- Strong motivation to help people in needs
- Transversal skills
- Sense of human relations
- Communications skills, Diplomacy
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able and willing to learn to extend his/her scope of work
- Ability to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker
- Able to manage priorities, take initiatives and work without constant supervision
Application Closes on...
5.00 PM; 20th December, 2017.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit copies of updated CV, letter of motivation and national ID card and reference contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The position must be clearly indicated on the application. Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be conducted. This position is open to Nigerian national only.
- Front Desk Executive
- Branch Admin Officer at Nigerian Stock Exchange
- Entry Clearance Officer at The British High Commission
- Management Support Officer at Plan International Nigeria
- Office Cleaner/Assistant
- Office Administrator
- Senior Administrative Officer at International Rescue Committee
- Administrative Assistant at The European Commission
- Office Assistant
- Front Desk Officer/Receptionist