Energy Specialist at World Bank Group
The International Financial Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it is needed most. In FY15, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $18 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
In 2015, the World Bank Group launched a recruitment mission to attract Sub Saharan African professionals to its work force. The initiative was the first of its kind for the institution and resulted in numerous hires into business areas such as Education, Health, Development Economics, Information Technology Systems, Social Urban/Rural & Resilience and Governance. The World Bank Group continues its commitment to hiring Sub-Saharan African professionals and announces its latest recruitment mission to again attract highly qualified Sub-Saharan African professionals who are looking for an exciting career, where their effort will contribute to the institution's goal of ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity.
The International Financial Corporation (IFC), invites applications for the position below:
Job Title: Energy Specialist
As part of the IFC's Cross Cutting Advisory Solutions department, the Energy & Resource Efficiency (E&RE) group works to develop clean energy opportunities and improved resource use in emerging markets. The central aim is to increase energy access and optimize the use of resources to transform markets and improve people's lives. IFC’s E&RE works with a range of industrial sectors including agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, services, manufacturing, among others.
IFC is recruiting an Energy Specialist, E&RE. This is a key position to provide support to both the mini-grids program in Tanzania and the Lighting Tanzania program, focusing specifically on addressing financing issues related to the off-grid sector. The position is to be based in Dar es Salaam. The Energy Specialist will report to the E&REF regional lead based in South Africa. In addition, s/he will also coordinate with the Lighting Africa program manager in Kenya and will work closely with the Program Manager for the mini-grids and Lighting programs in Tanzania.
The Energy Specialist will support the implementation of IFC energy access initiatives including the mini-grids and Lighting Tanzania programs, working in close coordination with the Program Manager.
For Lighting Tanzania, this will include support to clients and work with financial institutions in order to increase access to finance for companies and customers, including managing the implementation of activities with clients. Similarly for the mini-grids program in Tanzania, the Energy Specialist will provide support across the different activities, with an emphasis on strengthening linkages to the financial sector and debottlenecking financing challenges facing both individual companies and the sector more broadly.
The specific responsibilities of this position include:
Advisory services to clients:
- The Energy Specialist will provide advisory services aimed at developing and catalyzing commercial markets for clean energy products and services in Tanzania.
- S/he will work with a small team of IFC staff and/or external consultants to support equipment manufacturers, distribution companies and financial institutions on building replicable business models for the sale of lighting products and/or provision of lighting services to households in off-grid markets in Tanzania.
Work with financing entities:
- The Energy Specialist will interact with financial entities (investors, lenders, etc.) interested in the energy access space in Tanzania, leveraging IFC colleagues who have client relationships with these stakeholders.
- This will include working closely with local commercial banks, foundations, regional and international private equity funds, and insurance/guarantee providers, among others, to identify and address gaps in financing of the sector.
Measurement, Reporting & Evaluation:
- Support the monitoring and tracking of program performance in line with the log-frame
- Manage individual programs to ensure timely execution and completion of Management Information System reporting requirements
- The Energy Specialist will have volume and development impact targets defined by the E&RE Regional Lead.
- Provide support to market intelligence related activities
- Promote IFC’s missions and goals as well as raise awareness on the Lighting Tanzania and Mini-grids Programs
- Coordinate with internal (World Bank Group) and external entities promoting renewable energy and energy access
- Potentially support to other energy access programs and activities in SSA
- Additional tasks will be added, as needed.
- Masters level education in Business, Engineering, Finance, Economics, or related subject
- At least seven (7) years of experience in finance with a preference for work experience with SMEs, and strong demonstrated financial skills
- Demonstrated experience in structuring financial products; candidates having experience with clean energy technologies and markets have a competitive advantage
- Familiarity with the energy sector, particularly energy access, ideally from a business development perspective
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; must be a strong team player
- Capacity to operate successfully in a high pressure, fast-paced, and multicultural environment
- Positive, go-getter attitude, willing to continuously learn, share experiences and knowledge, and encourage innovation
- Good knowledge of the Tanzanian market is essential; knowledge of other markets in SSA desired
- Solid English communication skills; Kiswahili is important and desired.
- Cover letter should clearly describe the relevant results the candidate has delivered in prior positions, rather than simply listing responsibilities.
End of July - September 2016 - Review applications and update application status to candidates
August - September 2016 - Contact all shortlisted candidates and conduct interviews in Washington, D.C. and locations in Africa
- Shortlisted candidates may be contacted as early as August 2016 for interviews which may be conducted in Washington, D.C. or locations in Africa. Interviews will be conducted through September 2016. Based on the availability of interviewers and candidates some interviews may be conducted virtually.
- Candidates who have previously submitted applications through the Recruitment Drive for African Nationals in 2015 must submit a new application to be considered for opportunities in this year's campaign. We apologize that we are unable to consider previously submitted applications.
Click Here to start receiving Job updates in your mail box! Also Join our BBM Channel Here C003C370B
CLICK HERE TO PRACTICE OVER 10,000 JOB APTITUDE TEST AND INTERVIEW QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS FOR FREE
- Gas and Steam Turbine Facilitator
- Job at WTS Energy for a Preservation Supervisor
- Electrical / Electronics Engineer
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Field Service Specialist Job at GE Nigeria
- Oil and Gas Job Vacancy at Hobark International Limited
- Occupational Hazard Nurse needed at Hobark International Limited
- Company Medical Doctor / Rig Medical Doctor Job at Hobark International Limited
- Gas and Steam Turbine Facilitator
- Ongoing Recruitment at IPI PowerTech Group