Administrative and Human Resource Assistant (HR) Job at International Organization for Migration
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Position: Administrative and Human Resource Assistant (HR)
SVN No. : SVN2019.76
Job Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Head of sub office in Maiduguri, the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) Maiduguri and Human Resources Officer (HRO), Abuja and in close coordination with all the RM and Programme Units, the incumbent will assist in all the required administrative activities in Human Resources in North East.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Contribute to the smooth running of the Human Resources Unit daily to ensure that the Human Resources functions are carried out in accordance with the organization’s regulations and procedures most, especially in the North East Nigeria;
- Assist in implementation and coordination of Human Resources services required for managing the IOM projects in the field, with Particular reference to personnel, and other HR processes, in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Assist HR Officer in the recruitment processes for both National Staff and hourly staff, and ensure it is carried out in a timely, fairly and transparent manner as and when required; including but not limited to drafting Terms of References (TORs), compiling and shortlisting applications, arranging interviews etc;
- Coordinate and Monitor HR activities in the Sub Office such as time management, Annual Leave request, Danger Pay and other HR related payments in accordance with the Organization’s rules and regulations, and support in establishing due process at the field level.
- Maintain a filing system to ensure all required documents are collected, maintained, updated and verified as required, whilst also ensuring all originals are sent to Abuja for the HR Files and documentation.
- Assist with recruitment, retention (leave administration, contract renewal, Staff Evaluation System (SES) etc.), promotion and separation of national staff; Ensure all personnel files and HR related files are maintained and updated to include all information;
- Update the IOM Maiduguri and North East HR Database to ensure all information is live and updated to include all HR information and activities.
- Attend to the Hourly Staff Database so that all information in the Hourly Database is updated as required and monitor the Hourly Staff contracts
- Review and Prepare hourly staff monthly payroll in Maiduguri sub office to ensure accuracy within a reasonable time frame and, ensuring all required supporting documentation is included.
- Monitor compliance with all administrative procedures in accordance with the Organization’s regulations and procedures and reporting any deviations if any to the HR Officer, for corrective measures as required;
- Provide information to staff on their entitlements and responsibilities in line with IOM regulations, instructions and procedures. Respond to standard inquiries and refer the most sensitive/complex ones.
- Identify areas for improvement and highlight them to the supervisor; provide inputs for new procedures to complement or to adapt existing ones taking into consideration the specific needs of the office. Assist in analyzing and resolving sensitive cases by collating background information, preparing summaries and sharing best practices.
- Participate in inter-agency Human Resources related working groups as assigned in the NE
- Organize and coordinate inductions/ Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) trainings for newly recruited Staff at the Sub-Office
- Assist in reporting regularly on the Human Resources situation in the field and bring to the attention of the supervisors both in Maiduguri and Abuja any relevant Human Resources issues or deviations
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisors
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or Higher in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant professional experience; or
- High/Secondary school education in the above fields with 4 years of relevant professional experience
- Working experience in general administration, i.e. filing, encoding data, sorting data or a similar capacity preferably with an International Organization;
- Prior experience in usage of HR Information Systems or Database required –knowledge of SAP an added advantage;
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office Packages (Office, Excel, Power point, outlook) internet and E-mail;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a team of colleagues;
- Mature individual, able to work independently under pressure, able to maintain accuracy, paying attention to details, meeting deadlines and working with minimal supervision.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous;
Required Competencies Behavioural
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work. Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2019.76 Maiduguri Administrative and Human Resource Assistant (HR).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Human Resources Manager Job at Contec Global Group
- HR Business Partner Job at Manufacturing & Resources Development Limited
- Human Resources Officer Job at Abuja Clinics
- Administrative Manager Job at Abuja Clinics
- Human Resources Officer Job at JEF Security Services Limited
- Front Desk Officer
- Receptionist Job at Management FIRST
- Senior Administrative Assistant Job at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Operations Officer Job at Dinerr
- Human Resources Business Partner Job at Divergent Enterprise Nigeria