Consultant (Research Expert and Survey Analyst) Job at United Nations Development Programme
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Position: Consultant (Research Expert and Survey Analyst)
Job Location: Abuja
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Date when the selected candidate is expected to start: 01-Jan-2019
Expected Duration of Assignment: 8 Months
- In 2016/2017, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) jointly with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) carried out the first comprehensive nationwide household survey on corruption in Nigeria and in Africa at large and published the report: Corruption in Nigeria. Bribery: public experience and response.
- The survey was carried out using survey tools, common research protocols and data analysis tools that were developed by UNODC in consultation with the implementing partner using international standards. UNODC provided technical supervision, expertise and advice in implementing the survey and was responsible for data analysis and report drafting.
- The results of the survey provide benchmark indicators that can be used to inform relevant policies and track future progress, while ensuring international comparability with surveys of similar nature carried out in other countries.
- To effectively measure if progress has been made and to identify in which areas more needs to be done, a second corruption survey will be carried out in 2018/2019 following the same methodology and coverage.
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of the assignment:
- To support UNODC in substantively preparing and implementing the corruption survey in Nigeria
- To act as the technical focal point on the corruption survey in the field for UNODC, the implementing partner and all other stakeholders involved
- To carry out data validation and quality assurance in respect to the data collected in the survey
- To independently carry out qualitative research on corruption and bribery in Nigeria following the guidance and methodology provided by UNODC and summarize the findings in a synthesis report
- To provide technical assistance and training to the implementing partner for analysing survey data and draft relevant parts of the second report on corruption in Nigeria
- To carry out other tasks related to the Survey as assigned by CONIG and DDDU
In carrying out this assignment, the consultant will be in continuous contact with the selected national implementing partner, CONIG and DDDU to ensure an efficient flow of information and a consistent application of established research standards and principles.
Specific Tasks to be Performed by the Consultant in Project Phase 2 Only
Under the supervision of the Research Officer of UNODC/CONIG, the consultant will undertake the following activities:
- Support UNODC (Country Office in Nigeria, CONIG and Data Development and Dissemination Unit in HQ in Vienna, DDDU) in developing survey tools and prepare the survey implementation of the corruption survey in Nigeria
- Liaise between UNODC, the implementing partner and the contracted Quality Assurance company and follow up on pertinent issues throughout the duration of the survey, including on: survey methodology, sampling issues, training of interviewers, field work, data handling and processing, data cleaning, data preparation, tabulation, data analysis, reporting drafting, review of draft report. Carry out independent quality assurance for the pilot survey and liaise with the contracted Quality Assurance company for the main survey.
- Manage the substantive inputs from the National Technical Committee to the survey process and the draft report
- Frequently consult with the implementing partner on the progress of survey activities, provide backstopping and early warning of pertinent issues and suggest corrective actions to ensure a high quality of survey operations and results
- Undertake background research on patterns, experiences and manifestations of corruption in Nigeria and provide relevant draft elements for the report on corruption in Nigeria;
- Carry out a series of interviews and focus group discussions on corruption in four different States in Nigeria, targeting relevant officials in law enforcement, anti-corruption agencies and civil society organizations, as well as selected groups of citizens, and condense the results in a summary report on experiences and perceptions of participants, including pertinent quotes and analysis of widespread forms and mechanisms of administrative (petty) corruption. A particular focus of the interviews and focus groups is to be placed on the changes that have taken place in this field since the conduct of the last corruption survey and related interviews/focus groups.
- Assess training needs of the implementing partner and provide targeted technical assistance and training to the implementing partner for analysing survey data and draft relevant parts of the second report on corruption in Nigeria
- Carry out other tasks related to the Survey as assigned by CONIG and DDDU
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree (Master’s degree or above) in Social Sciences, Statistics, Criminal Justice, Criminology or in a related field or at least 3 years work experience in anti-corruption work in Nigeria.
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative research methods, preferably in the field of crime and justice, corruption or victimization surveys.
- Experience in managing large datasets through statistical packages (including SPSS and Excel).
- Experience in producing analytical publications according to UN standards an asset. Good planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English.
All outputs should meet the satisfaction of UNODC according to the following indicators:
- Timeliness of delivery
- Quality of documents and reports
- Technical competence.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Research Analyst (Media) Job at TeamAce
- Research Analyst Job at Cadwell Limited
- Executive Research Assistant Job at May University Press Limited
- Business Executive Job at Lotus HomesNG
- Research & Development Manager Job at JAMUB GROUP
- Business Development Consultant Job at 3Consulting Limited
- Researcher Job at Mentally Aware Nigeria
- HR Consultant Job at Sigma Consulting
- Estate Surveyor Job at Dipo Fakorede & Co.
- Consultant Job at RTI International