DDG-DRC Nigeria-Mine Action Manager at The Danish Refugee Council
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than twenty five countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
The protection and assistance to conflict affected population is provided within a long-term, regional and rights-based approach in order to constitute a coherent and effective response to the challenges posed by today’s conflicts. Assistance consists of relief and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation, support to return and repatriation as well as promotion of long-term solutions to displacement and its causes. In addition, support and capacity building of local and national authorities and NGOs form an integral part of DRC’s work.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: DDG-DRC Nigeria - Mine Action Manager
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements Mine action and Armed Violence Reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Since July 2015, DRC/DDG have started up emergency operations in Nigeria in order to respond to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in northeastern Nigeria. In 2016, DRC/DDG will commence an EU-funded programme that seeks to promote stability and socio-economic recovery in Borno and Adamawa states. One key component of this programme will focus on mine action, in particular mine/ERW risk education aimed at IDPs and humanitarian workers.
Position’s Overall Objective
- The Mine Action Manager is responsible and accountable for designing, managing, monitoring, and advising on DRC/DDG mine action activities in northeastern Nigeria.
- The Mine Action Manager’s role is to ensure that Mine Action-related activities implemented within the DRC/DDG programme are in line with DRC/DDG’s objectives, strategies, donor requirements, and are compliant with DDG’s mine action Standard Operating Procedures.
- The Mine Action Manager reports to the EU Programme Manager, responsible for the overall implementation of the EU programme.
- The Mine Action programme also works in close collaboration with DDG’s Regional Manager, Global Specialist Lead for mine action, Global Risk Education Advisor and other DRC/DDG Managers based in Nigeria (e.g Livelihoods, AVR, M&E).
- The Mine Action Manager monitors, advises and line manages national staff responsible for implementing risk education-related activities (ie RE supervisors and facilitators). The post holder will have to work closely with the National Safety Advisor to ensure staff safety during programme delivery.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide overall leadership for DRC/DDG’s Mine Action operations in Nigeria
- Recruit and help to induct and train national programme staff
- Plan and lead the implementation of all mine action-related activities
- Develop realistic workplans which a focus on achieving tangible results within required timeframes
- Devise future Mine Action project plans and funding proposals
- Collaborate with M&E staff to ensure rigorous monitoring and evaluation of mine action activities
- Monitor and supervise regular mine action related assessments
- Contribute to the management of safety and security by adhering to established protocols
- Other tasks as requested by EU Programme Manager, Country Director and/or DDG Regional Manager
Specific tasks and responsibilities include:
- Assist the CD in carrying out operational planning for all Mine Action related activities, e.g Non-Technical Survey/Technical Survey, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD), Battle Area Clearance (BAC), Community Liaison, and Risk Education. This should be done while keeping focus on national priorities and beneficiary needs.
- Mentor, monitor, advise and supervise the national programme staff in Mine Action, ensuring that they carry out their duties and responsibilities in accordance with their job descriptions and relevant DDG mine action SOPs and DRC/DDG and donor guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with medical support SOPs, and ensure a proper level of medical training for all staff.
- Make recommendations regarding new approaches and develop, implement and revise country-specific Standard Operations Procedures (SOPs) for relevant DRC/DDG activities.
- Design an internal Quality Management (QM) structure that includes monitoring the
- impact of DDG programming in terms of Mine Action as well as productivity (outputs).
- Ensure that all mine action related activities are coordinated with and complementary to each other and all other programmes including both DRC-DDG and external partners
- Make regular field visits to monitor and advise the national staff in programme delivery
- Ensure the staff is well trained and have the relevant skills and capacity to deliver the programme efficiently and effectively.
- In collaboration with the national Safety Advisor, managing the safety of field staff
- Liaise with local and national authorities (including the police, military, etc), donors, external partners etc. within his/her assigned areas of responsibility and coordinate with the Programme Manager and the Country Director.
- Assist the senior national staff in the timely and quality compilation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports for their specific sections.
- Make regular field visits and reports
- Support the Country Director to prepare annual reports to the host government, donors and DDG Regional and Head Offices as requested.
- Work closely with Head of Admin and Finance to monitor admin and HR aspects of his/her assigned sections; including monitoring the discipline and welfare of the programme staff and ensuring that the correct level of staff capacity is maintained.
- Line manage the assigned national mine action staff. The Mine Action Manager will also coach and mentor the national staff in management skills in relation to their teams.
- The Mine Action Manager is responsible for working closely with Head of Admin and Finance in monitoring of the financial aspects of the activities in his/her assigned sections.
- University degree in a relevant discipline
- Minimum 5 years’ previous experience in humanitarian mine action and full understanding of its technical requirements.
- IMAS EOD 3 qualifications and previous work experience as an Operations Manager.
- Minimum two years previous experience working with a mine action INGO
- Proven management experience, gained in a range of settings.
- Experience with accreditation to IMAS standard
- Proven record of training, mentoring and developing the capacity of national staff
- Experience of working in challenging and insecure environments
- Diplomatic, patient and persistent.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Experience working in diverse and cross-cultural context
- Willingness to embrace and further develop overall objectives such as gender equity, impact monitoring, and cross-sector cooperation.
- High degree of computer literacy - fully proficient in use of word, excel and powerpoint
- Willing to live in shared team house
- Availability: February 2016
- Duty station: Yola, Nigeria with frequent travel within Borno and Adamawa states
- Duration: 12 months with possibility of renewal, subject to performance
- Contract: Level B2
- This is a Non Family Duty post.
- General Manager at African Clinical Research Limited(ACR)
- Group General Manager
- Vice President of Engineering at Andela
- Head, Trading Business at PricewaterhouseCooper
- Performance Management Officer
- Country Director at CARE Nigeria
- Country Director at Equal Access International (EAI)
- Senior Business Manager / General Manager at GV Alliance Partners
- Head of Station/Chief Operating Officer
- Program Manager at Reboot