Project Manager at Intersos Humanitarian Organisation
INTERSOS, is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Project Manager (Protection/GBV)
Job Location: Maiduguri, with frequent mission on the ground in Borno - Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Kukawa and Magumeri (LGA) - Yobe and Adamawa, Nigeria
Starting date: 01/04/2019
Contract duration: 24 months
Reporting to: Head of Base
Supervision of: 55 staff (1 international)
General Context of the Project
- Since 2009, the Boko Haram driven crisis (herein, Armed Opposition Groups [AOGs]) has crippled north eastern Nigeria. The Borno State continues to be most the affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 26 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- In response to DFID strategy of protection and transition to development in North East Nigeria, INTERSOS is partner in an NGOs Consortium, lead by Street Child, to respond to the urgent protection need of the most vulnerable population. The project will provide integrated community-based protection services in 14 LGAs Northeast Nigeria for 45,000 women, men and children with acute protection needs, and build resilience through the development of more inclusive and sustainable national protection mechanisms.
- In particular INTERSOS will focus on GBV prevention and response programme component, through a direct implementation approach of prevention and response, included PSS and case management in
- Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Kukawa and Magumeri (LGA), while it will be working with NNGO for capacity building, mentoring and monitoring to implement GBV survivors/GBV at risks identification, case management, prevention and awareness.
General Purpose of the Position
- Full managerial and technical responsibility of the project implementation, including procurement, selection of staff, monitoring and financial supervision of expenditures against target activities.
- S/he will support trainings and will supervise all the activities in the field locations.
- S/he is responsible of regular donor reporting and attends technical coordination meetings.
- The incumbent work under overall supervision of the Head of Base and coordinate with the Senior Protection Advisor, who will ensure mentoring and monitoring for the project implementation.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- The PM manages, coordinates and supervises the project staff for the implementation of activities and services, ensuring timely and quality implementation and monitoring in compliance with relevant Standard Operating Procedures, International Principles and Guidelines as well as INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics.
- Planning, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the project, ensuring timely and quality delivery of services as per approved project's proposal,
- Ensure, in line with INTERSOS internal rules and regulations, Consortium lead and donor regulations and international humanitarian standard (such as SPHERE) the management of the project,
- Conduct regular field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives, facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges,
- Liaising with project consortium lead and consortium partners,
- Liaising with sector appropriate local government and authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors at field site level, in coordination with the HoM;
- Plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals.
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the Coordination Office promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules and medical ethics.
- Supervise the project material resources put at INTERSOS disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity;
- Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the capital referents, in order ensure efficiency, adequate supply at the intervention sites and early detect deviations and its causes.
- Ensure appropriate budget management
- Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analyzing the consequences of political decisions or negotiations in course;
- Proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups.
- Provide technical supervision and guidance to medical team, both for the Mobile Team and the staff in the static facilities;
- Be responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities s/he is accountable for.
- Identify training needs, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to project’s goals.
- Developing regular reports, including Consortium lead reporting, donor reporting and the Project Appraisal Tool, ensuring accurate data collection and timely submission.
- Ensuring accurate data collection and reporting are submitted in a timely manner for all activities within the project.
- Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and file them) on its development, and updating INTERSOS Management Platform (IMP).
- University degree or equivalent level in Economics, Social Sciences or similar. Desirable degree in Project Management.
- At least 5 years of significant international experience in similar positions or in humanitarian sector;
- Extensive working experiences in Project Management
- Sound knowledge of PCM
- Robust knowledge of financial monitoring and reporting tools;
- Proficient knowledge of sectorial international guidelines and standards
- Experience in working with IDPs or refugees
- Essential computer literacy knowledge (word, excel and internet)
- Previous experience in management of protection/GBV projects
- Previous experience in Nigeria and/or Western and Central Africa is an asset
- Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international multiethnic and multicultural environment
- Proven management and leadership skills;
- Ability to deliver high quality work in short periods of time
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field;
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required.
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Strong attitude to take initiative, work autonomously and achieve effectively results
- Respect of INTERSOS mission and values.
- Business Strategy Specialist Job at RusselSmith Group
- Communications Consultant Job at RTI International
- Associate Consultant (Strategy & Business Development) Job at Chain Reactions Nigeria
- Business Planning Analyst Job at Jagal Group
- Business Development Officer
- Consultant Job at Save the Children
- Business Strategist Job at Lifepage Group
- Communications Manager and Executive Assistant
- Consultant I Job at Management Sciences for Health (MSH)