Project Support Officer Job at The British Government
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Project Support Officer
Job ref.: 29/19 ABJ
Job Location: Abuja
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 18 months
Start Date: 1 September 2019
Type of Post: British High Commission
Job Subcategory: Global Issues Team
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Main Purpose of Job
- The post-holder will provide support to the Senior Public Health Advisor to ensure the coordination and delivery of identified outputs, playing a crucial role in supporting the various projects within the workplan agreed with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, ensuring activities are delivered to time, within scope and resource allocation.
- The post-holder will also support a number of PHE technical teams including (but not limited to) the National Infection Service (NIS) and the Emergency Response Department.
- This post offers an excellent opportunity to gain exposure and experience of working in a fast paced and innovative environment and is an ideal chance for someone looking to begin a career in project and programme management.
- The ideal candidate must have a flexible approach to meet the needs of the service, be able to work to tight deadlines, be a good multitasker and be able to handle a number of competing priorities at any one time.
- This post will be based in Abuja with possible travel to other areas of Nigeria as relevant.
Roles and Responsibilities
Communication and relationship skills:
- Provide comprehensive administrative support to the IHR Programme in Nigeria country lead and team
- Provide information and advice in a timely manner
- Provide an effective and professional service when liaising with colleagues, partners, stakeholders and the public using tact and diplomacy to encourage effective working when dealing with any communication difficulties
- Communicate with a wide range of health and other professionals both locally, nationally and internationally
- Manage incoming correspondence and emails, including that of a confidential and sensitive nature, exercising independent judgement in order to initiate appropriate action
- Liaise and negotiates with staff and other teams to support the efficient running of projects and business functions including communications
- Respond to enquiries from key stakeholders to provide information in line with agreed protocols and procedures
- Provide PA cover as and when required
Analytical and Judgement Skills:
- Make judgements and provide information involving a range of job-related facts or situations some of which require analysis and comparison of a range of options.
- Assess and prioritise own workload within given timeframe, to meet project schedules
- Identify errors or problems, take action as necessary to resolve and/or notify country lead
- Monitor progress of defined aspects of specific projects and business processes, identifying problems or opportunities, take action as necessary and/or notify country lead
- Provide a diary management service with the ability to resolve conflicting diary appointments and schedules
- Provide inbox and diary management to senior colleagues as and when required by the service
- Support projects by developing and identifying resources required, ensuring all materials and resources are current and appropriate
Planning and Organisational Skills:
- Provide high level administrative support to relevant staff of IHR Programme in Nigeria
- Manage/ support the planning of meetings, events and conferences, working with the local provider.
- Summarise correspondence, reports and compile letters, both routine and ad hoc, ensuring that deadlines are met
- Develop manage and maintain office systems, including paper and electronic files, ensuring that information is appropriately and securely stored, filed and retrievable
- Take and transcribe informal and formal minutes
- Plan and organise defined aspects of project delivery under the guidance of the country lead
- Manage own workload and activities, including emails and diary management of other relevant team members,
- Prioritise, prepare and dispatch documents as required
- Carry out other administrative tasks that fall within the competencies of the post holder in order to provide cover when required
- Set up and maintain internal and external distribution lists
- Provide support to the management of personnel procedures (e.g. annual leave recording, study leave requests, sickness absence etc.)
- Participate in self-development to continually improve performance/systems and undertake development activities that are identified
- The above is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. You will carry out any other duties as may reasonably be required by your line manager.
- The job description and person specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of the division and the PHE
- It should be noted that the work of the division is of a confidential nature and must not be communicated to other persons except where required for authorised purposes.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent).
- Previous experience in similar role in project/ programme management in public sector or with bilateral/multilateral organisations.
- Good working knowledge and experience in the management of project and office procedures some of which are non-routine
- Good experience of diary and inbox management
- Understanding of information governance and security
- High proficiency and knowledge in the use of MS Office Suite
- Knowledge of telephony systems
- Good understanding of the use and maintenance of general office equipment
- Experience of organising events/conferences/workshops
- Presentation skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Good keyboard skills
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team, as well as on own initiative
- Ability to produce work of high quality and accuracy to deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure
- Awareness of data protection and confidentiality requirements
- Willingness to travel
- Good organisation, prioritisation and time management skills
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity and good working relationships, both in terms of day-to-day working practices, but also in relation to management systems
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge/experience of project/programme management
- High level of numeracy
- Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service
Starting monthly salary: NGN 514,764.63
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- Identify, discuss and action own professional performance and training / development needs with the Country lead through the appraisals process and/or attending internal / external training events.
- Participate in all mandatory training as required
Public Health England (PHE) recently began working with Nigeria’s Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to improve and strengthen International Health Regulations capability. A Senior Public Health Advisor for PHE is based in Abuja to support delivery of this objective. The post of Project Support Officer is being recruited to work closely with the Senior Public Health Advisor, to provide day-to-day logistical and administrative assistance.
Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Note: Please take note that the duration of this contract is up to 31 March
- Project Officer Job at DO.II Designs Limited
- Landover Company Limited Recruitment for an Operations Assistant
- Operation Manager Job at Residency Hotels Limited
- Project Engineer Job at Power Field Consulting
- PROJECT MANAGER
- Operations Officer Job at Elo-Ex Transport Services
- Project Manager Job at Kimberly Ryan Limited
- Head of Operation (Haulage) Recruitment at Vodstra Limited
- Project Officer Recruitment at Morris Royal Limited
- Project Manager Job at Rossland Screening Solutions