Researcher Job at Amnesty International
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world and have: more than 2 million members and supporters who drive forward our fight for rights, more than 5 million activists who strengthen our calls for justice.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Position: Researcher, Nigeria
Job Location: Abuja
Working Hours: 35
- To develop and implement overarching research and programmes to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities. By providing research expertise, research management, political judgment and analytical, communication and representational skills. Essential tasks include conducting research / investigations, writing reports, briefings, analyses and press releases, and advocacy – all in difficult and often dangerous circumstances and with pressing deadlines. Responding to human rights crises in Nigeria, including situations of armed conflict, mass atrocities, or large-scale killing.
Amnesty Nigeria Purpose:
- Amnesty International Nigeria is a national human rights entity that is part of a global human rights movement. Our mission is to build an inclusive and constructive constituency in Nigeria for Nigeria on Nigeria that has a significant impact on the key human rights issues of contemporary Nigeria; and to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
Amnesty International Purpose:
- Amnesty International operates from several sites around the world and gathers and communicates accurate and action-oriented human rights information globally. We campaign for meaningful human rights change; enable effective human rights activism and work to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal human rights standards.
- Reporting to: Programmes Manager - Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: This post has no line management responsibility. However, the researcher participates in coordinating the work of the team, other participants in research and campaigning projects, temporary staff and team volunteers.
- Other key relationships: Amnesty International Nigeria staff particularly the researchers, campaigners and the Finance and Office Manager; International Secretariat (IS) particularly the thematic teams and the Amnesty International movement as necessary.
- To monitor, research, investigate and analyze human rights-related developments in order to provide timely, accurate, independent and impartial assessments and expert advice on the human rights situation in Nigeria or thematic areas. This includes being on stand-by for immediate deployment to areas of conflict to carry out research and advocacy; produces briefings, reports and press releases of the highest standards against tight deadlines.
- To organize, take part in and lead, where agreed, field research and other missions, leading specifically on information-gathering, fact-finding, analysis and assessment of human rights concerns, including in response to crisis situations; prepare, where necessary, security advice and risk assessments and security plans for missions, political and other briefings in relation to the mission for Amnesty International management; and represent Amnesty International in the field.
- Playing a key role in addressing security issues and conflict research methodology for Nigeria.
- Together with the campaigner, devise and implement advocacy and campaigning strategies for addressing the abuses documented, including by targeting parties to the conflict, influential institutions and governments.
- To develop and maintain effective constituencies of public and confidential contacts and partners in and outside the organization - such as human rights activists, CSOs, members of legal and other professions, UN and AU agencies and governmental representatives - to optimize information gathering and verification and the development and implementation of effective strategies and plans.
- To write reports and other materials for publication and internal use and contribute to and provide expert advice in relation to written and other materials produced by other staff within AI Nigeria, as well in the International Secretariat and in the Amnesty International movement as relevant.
- Respond to breaking developments which are deemed strategically important, including conducting research and producing written materials such as press releases in short-time frames.
- To contribute to the development and maintenance of an effective and secure information management system.
- In consultation with the Programmes Manager, to manage research projects, participate in coordinating the work of the team, including through setting priorities, preparing work plans, monitoring their progress and contributing to maintaining basic budgets;
- To contribute to the overall flexibility of resource use and provide cover for other staff as agreed with the Programmes Manager.
- To perform all necessary administrative tasks to ensure effective self-servicing, participate in the recruitment and induction of new staff and consultants and perform other corporate tasks as appropriate.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties. The need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties, that are within the employee’s skills and capabilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Skills, Attributes and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Humanities, International Relations, Law or related disciplines;
- A master’s degree would be an advantage;
- At least 7 years’ experience working in human rights, development or social justice sector and in undertaking field research; experience of working in conflict-affected areas would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization
- Specialist knowledge and first-hand experience of Nigeria and an in-depth understanding of the nature of key human rights concerns, as well as socio-political, economic and cultural issues in them.
- Understanding of equal opportunities, diversity issues and gender equality as well as a commitment to apply relevant policies.
- Excellent communication and writing skills; demonstrated ability to express ideas in a fluent, clear and concise way, both orally and in writing, in English.
- Ability to work and communicate in at least one major Nigerian language and pidgin is desirable.
- Ability to represent Amnesty International Nigeria to external stakeholders; and to communicate Amnesty International’s concerns, positions and, where relevant, strategies to external and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience of writing research and other materials for a variety of audiences
- Good knowledge of security issues including digital security and use of secure communications.
- Ability to exercise good political judgment, thorough analysis and diplomacy to develop effective strategies to impact on human rights in the region;
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude
- Ability to deal in an ethical, sensitive and understanding manner with a variety of people, including survivors of human rights violations and others who may be distressed.
- Experience of working within a team, understanding the importance of efficient support and communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multi task and work to deadlines to achieve results;
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Ability and willingness to undertake personal administrative tasks in accordance with AI’s guidelines on self-servicing;
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Good understanding and use of social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter.
- An ideal candidate is one who already has the right to work and live in Nigeria.
Equality and diversity are at the core of our values and staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
Conflict Of Interest
Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organization, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with Amnesty International’s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.
Click Here for More Information (Pdf)
- Assistant Editor Job at May University Press Limited
- Research Assistant Data Collector Job at Jhpiego
- Brand Manager Job at Winco Foam Industries Limited
- Evidence Manager Job at Girl Effect
- Topographic Representative Job at Amaiden Energy Nigeria Limited
- Geophysical Representative Job at Amaiden Energy Nigeria Limited
- Research Assistant Job at Value Fronteira
- LV/MV Tendering Engineer Job at Aldelia Group
- Surveyor Job at Mosra Enerji Limited
- Research Officer Job at a reputable company