Senior Secretary at UNHCR
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Senior Secretary
Position Number: 10026311
Job Location: FCT Abuja
Category: Executive Assistant/Personal Assistant/Senior Secretary
Grade: GS - 5
Duration of Contract: 1 Year
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Context, Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Representative, the Senior Secretary shall be responsible for office management, secretarial and administrative support to the country office.
- As per specific instructions, the incumbent will be guided by the Representative who provides general outline of assignments and reviews the completed work for accuracy and conformance with objectives.
- Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, he/she will work independently on routine tasks, while S/He will follow instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues.
- The Senior Secretary will also liaise with other internal or external entities to ensure effective delivery of services and achievement of objectives of the office.
The incumbent shall carry out the following responsibilities;
- Arrange appointments and maintains supervisor’s calendar. Receive visitors; places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion.
- Arrange meetings, both internal and external, some involving high-ranking officials, and take minutes and/or notes at meetings.
- Prepare correspondence, documents and reports, some of which are highly confidential.
- Receive, screen, log and route correspondence, attach necessary background information and maintain follow-up system.
- Draft official correspondence, documents and reports on routine matters and/or for clearance by the supervisor and ensure follow-up. Maintain filing system for electronic and hard copy documents.
- Assist in making travel arrangements/claims;
- Assist in the preparation of visit programmes, briefings on issues covered by the office, collection of documentation for briefing kits; talking points and other material for missions, meetings and visits.
- Liaise at an appropriate level with other units/Sections, HQ services, Regional Representations and country offices, as applicable, to facilitate the work of the office.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications:
- Completion of Secondary education or equivalent technical or commercial school with Secretarial training and/or certificate.
- Minimum 5 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Computer skills (MS office and People soft applications).
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
- Good computer skills.