Utility Support Fund (USF) Engineer at RTI International
RTI International is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and multidisciplinary services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Utility Support Fund (USF) Engineer
RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners are implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (E-WASH) program.
- Creating professionally managed and commercially oriented SWBs.
- Improving the financial and operational viability of SWBs.
- Strengthening policy, institutional and regulatory frameworks for improved WASH services (including establishing accountability mechanisms).
- Building national and state WASH advocacy, coordination, and communications for reform.
- The overall goal is improvement of urban water and sanitation service delivery.
- As part of the continued implementation of the E-WASH program, RTI International is recruiting a Utility Support Fund Engineer to provide full-term technical assistance for the implementation of Utility Support Fund (USF) activities in five states (Abia, Delta, Imo, Niger, Taraba) and this includes monitoring of engineering works to be carried out in the five SWBs.
- The engineer will report to and work with the Utility Technical Advisor and all Utility Technical Specialists (who are located in the states) to provide remote and embedded technical support to the five active SWBs, working closely with the E-WASH team assigned to each state and the Utility Support Fund Manager in Abuja.
- RTI International hereby invites applications from highly resourceful, motivated and experienced professionals to fill the position of Utility Support Fund (USF) Engineer.
- Under the direct supervision of the Utility Technical Advisor (UTA), the USF Engineer will support the UTA who is based in Abuja in the implementation monitoring of USF activities, rehabilitation, construction and monitoring of progress against targets.
- The USF Engineer will also interface with the USF Manager to provide technical support in the Utility Support Fund procurement process specific to engineering tendering and documentation.
The Engineer with the support of the UTA, will be responsible for the following key tasks, to include, but not be limited to:
- Manage multiple construction projects.
- Participate in design-build project planning, design programming, and development of project outline specifications, with reference to USF related activities.
- Oversee project design teams to ensure design is completed in accordance with outline specifications and overall project program.
- Coordinates with project design team through completion of the design while projects are under construction.
- Acts as a focal person when E-WASH is interacting with local and international consultants who are supporting the construction process.
- Oversees the mobilization of subcontractors at start of project and maintain close communication with these individuals throughout the course of the project.
- Manages supervisory and engineering personnel, inspectors, and suppliers to resolve construction problems and improve construction methods.
- Conducts construction activities within federal, state, and local environmental rules and regulations.
- Participates in the development of procurement plans (milestone tables) to ensure that proposed activities are adequately budgeted, and in line with recommendations from baseline reports and project objectives.
- Collects, in collaboration with field and technical teams, the technical specifications of all equipment to be procured through the USF.
- Supports the development of request for quotations and bid evaluation and selection process.
- Partake as applicable in contract tendering and management processes.
- Monitor, review, and control project costs.
- Participate in obtaining local government approvals for projects.
- Responsible for coordinating drawings, budgets, schedules, and other project-related matters with the job site superintendent.
- Complete and resolve punch list items and execute the project closeout.
- Informs E-WASH management on ongoing basis of assigned projects and the status of each potential project.
- Develop and maintains a good working relationship with subcontractors, suppliers, internal office and field personnel.
- Performs inspections and audits of USF procurement as needed to support the quality assurance of USF equipment.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- PhD and 1 year of experience or Master’s degree and 6 years of experience or Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years of experience in Civil Engineering, Construction management, Water Supply Engineering or a relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding of all facets of the utility construction process
- Familiarity with construction management software packages
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating across projects stakeholder groups and donor projects.
- Strong management capacity with proven ability to oversee multiple activities simultaneously in multiple locations.
- Proven working experience in contract management.
- Prior procurement experience, preferably in water engineering projects.
- Working experience in a water utility is an added advantage
- Expert knowledge of water supply pipe products, construction details and relevant rules, regulations, and quality standards
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office Applications
- Demonstrates supervisory skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Competent in conflict and crisis management
- Demonstrated success managing and leading technical teams.
- Possesses leadership and human resources management skills.
- Willingness to travel frequently to and temporarily reside in the States where Field Offices are located; the Candidate’s location will be in Abuja, but he/she will subsequently move to Asaba, Delta State, from where he/she will support activities in Abia, Delta, Imo, Niger, Taraba while overseeing the progress of each of the Field Offices.
Method of Application
All qualified candidates should submit by e-mail only an Application letter and a CV as One Single Word document to: Recruitment@ewash.rti.org
- On the subject LINE of your email you should only put the Email Subject line, no other text should be on this subject line.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as they see this advert. Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply. We offer a highly competitive renumeration. Take note that the successful candidate will be subjected to a pre-employment background investigation. For further information about RTI International, please visit our website at www.rti.org
- RTI does not permit any payment requests demanded during any part of the hiring process. If such requests are made, please report it to the RTI Ethics Office via firstname.lastname@example.org. Any candidate making any payment will be disqualified from consideration for future employment with RTI.
- We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V
Application Deadline 19th May, 2020.
- ICT Officer Job at SOS Children’s Village
- Data Engineer Job at Kobo360
- NOC Engineer Job at Ascentech Services Limited
- Enterprise Support Engineer Job at Ascentech Services Limited
- Computer / ICT Instructor Job at Kids 'R' Key Academy
- Executive Assistant Job at Uraga Real Estate
- Data Entry Analyst Job at Glitters Global Synergy Limited
- Front Desk Officer / Receptionist Job at IZY Group Limited
- Front Desk / Marketer Job at Glitters Global Synergy Limited
- Graduate Junior Accountant Recruitment at Altara Credit Limited