Senior Data Management Assistant at UNHCR
UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Senior Data Management Assistant
Vacancy Notice No: 2018/VA/046
Job Location: Abuja
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract: Three months (with possible renewal)
Supervisor: Information Management Officer
Proposed Starting: As soon as possible
- Clashes between the Nigerian military and non-state armed groups (NSAGs) escalated into conflict in May 2013, with authorities declaring a state of emergency in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states. Since then, the region has experienced a massive destruction of infrastructure, a collapse of livelihoods, widespread displacement and brutal attacks on the civilian population.
- The crisis in north-east Nigeria is one of the most severe in the world today. Across the six affected states of Borno, Adamawa, Yobe, Bauchi, Gombe and Taraba, 10.2 million people are estimated to be in need of humanitarian assistance in 2018, of whom 52 per cent are women and girls, and 48 per cent are men and boys. Children constitute 63 per cent of those needing assistance. The most acute humanitarian needs are clearly concentrated in Borno State – and areas bordering Borno in Adamawa and Yobe states – where the crisis shows no sign of abating.
- The ongoing conflict has resulted in grave violations of human rights, including brutal attacks resulting in death, injuries, sexual violence, abductions, early and/or forced marriages, arbitrary and extended detentions without trial, disappearances, and deprivations, denial of services, family separations and forced recruitments by armed groups. Due to the high levels of human rights abuses, IDPs are manifesting signs of mass psycho-social distress. The majority of the 6.7 million people in need of protection services are located in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states. The most vulnerable populations in these three states are in desperate need of life-saving interventions. The limited availability of basic services, particularly in remote areas, continues to exacerbate protection risks to the affected people.
- UNHCR is hiring a data management expert to provide data and information management support to effectively address the protection of population of concern in Nigeria
- The incumbent of this position will oversee Data Management at the national and field level ensuring effective systematization and management of data to enhance monitoring of population, response and evaluation mechanisms to support the development of reliable and meaningful information products for UNHCR Nigeria.
- The incumbent shall report to the National Information Management Officer, with a functional line to the Senior Protection Officer who serves as UNHCR’s lead for Protection. The incumbent shall also work in close coordination and consultation with the UNHCR Information Management staff in the field.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the National Information Management Officer, the incumbent shall carry out the responsibilities below:
- Enter data mainly related to asylum seekers, refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR into the computer database.
- Prepare reports and project documents by providing information, preparing tables and drafting routine correspondence and reports.
- Assist in compilation of data and interpreting the statistics for various reports.
- Assist in the development of forms for data collection and analysis, if requested.
- Act as interpreter in the exchange of routine information and translate routine documents and correspondence as and when required.
- May be required to collect GIS data, update maps and undertake field trips to project sites.
- Perform any other duty, as requested.
- Decide on the data recorded in database.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents and escalate issues to the supervisor if incident cannot be resolved within the scope of responsibility.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Electronic Data Processing, Information Technology or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Knowledge of any other relevant UN or local language.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application/Letter of Motivation, Resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY to: email@example.com quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
Click Here to Download UN Personal History Form (P11) - MS Word
- Kindly note that a written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency based interview.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
- Head of Research Job at Sankore Investments
- Research Analyst Job at Sankore Investments
- Head, Research & Product Development Job at Media Trust Limited
- REACH GIS Officer Job at ACTED
- Research Analyst Job at Kimberly Ryan Limited
- Schlumberger Limited Graduate Recruitment 2020
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS Graduate Internship 2020
- Nigeria Climate Innovation Center (NCIC) Nationwide recruitment 2020
- Research and Data Analyst Recruitment at Svelte Global Company
- Customer Relationship / Research Officer Job at Compovine Technologies Limited