Communication Intern - Social Media at the UNDP
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Intern - Social Media
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Duration of Initial Contract: 3 Months
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in more than 170 countries, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges.
At UNDP, external and internal communication - nationally, regionally and globally - is critical to achieving both development results and business objectives. Skilful communication broadens the impacts of new policies, helps governance reforms take root, and attracts and fosters strong partnerships. The Communications Unit of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Nigeria is interested in engaging a Graphic Design intern to support the Country Office’s initiatives in Communication Uniting through conceptualizing and creating marketing and communications products.
The Communications Unit at UNDP Nigeria is at the forefront of advancing online communications and outreach within the organization and the broader sphere of our partners and is seeking a graduate student with an interest in global issues and social media to assist in building our outreach efforts. This post will give you the opportunity to assist in developing digital strategies for campaign projects that raise awareness for and engage people in UNDP’s efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. This internship includes networking with UNDP’s online community, researching and implementing digital services for campaigning and project management of multimedia content and engagement tools.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working under the direct supervision of the Communications Specialist for the Country Office, the intern will be required to perform the following functions;
- Support the Communications Specialist by writing daily content for Twitter, Facebook, and other similar platforms
- Media Monitoring: monitor traditional and online media from both communities for stories within specific areas of focus that focus on UN(DP) activities as well as highlight development issues in the country
- Keep up to date on new social media tools (especially Facebook and Twitter), best practice and how other organizations and companies are using them in order to identify new campaigning opportunities
- Develop and implement strategies and new tools for recruiting and engaging supporters through social media, especially for international days, key national/state events etc
- Monitor and respond to supporter comments and emails regarding online content and campaigning;
- Work with the social media team to update and/or create resource materials on social media use for UNDP staff.
Professionalism and emotional maturity:
- Knowledge of different aspects of social media and digital communication for awareness raising;
- Ability to conceptualize, design and implement information campaigns;
- Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources. Ability to produce a variety of communications products for social media platforms in a clear, concise and engaging style;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with bloggers and key online outlets;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Actively seeks to improve UNDP's social media activities;
- Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas;
- Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas;
- Thinks “outside the box”;
- Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things;
- Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
- You must be currently enrolled in a graduate degree programme in a development or communications-related field, such as journalism, international relations, political science, anthropology, sociology, public or business administration.
- Writing or participating in blogs, community sites and social media;
- Developing and implementing online campaigns and/or marketing strategies;
- Editing images or preparing graphics for the web and email communications;
- Experience engaging and building communities on social networks, particularly Twitter and Facebook;
- An interest in/ understanding of internet communications strategies, blogging best practice, social media trends, techniques and information architecture;
- An interest in/ understanding of online campaign methods and the contribution campaign work can make to achieving change.
- Fluency in English ( written and spoken) is required;
- Ability to speak and write in any one of the common local languages is an asset.
- Must be available at least three days a week.
- UNDP internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Only those students who will return to their studies upon completion of their internship assignments are eligible.
Application Closing Date
- IT Support Specialist Job at Willers Solutions Limited
- I.T Administrative Officer (Female) Job at Primera Food Nigeria Limited
- Primera Food Nigeria Limited Recruitment for IT Administrative Officer (Female)
- Computer Technician/Operator Job at RDK Consulting Services
- Graduate IT Support Officer Job at Paykobo
- Computer Operator Job at Eolyon Integrated Resources Limited
- Cisco Nigeria Recruitment for a Systems Engineer
- Mobile Phone Technician Job at Bytera Limited
- IT Support Officer Job at Bytera Limited
- Experience Network Engineer Job at LUMENAVE International Limited